Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

1. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I owned the Surface 3. It takes 5-5.5 hours to charge.

SAM 2013 likes this.
  2. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

YIKES!
    Will a higher watt/amp charger speed this up or will it damage the computer?
    Was this from 0% or something really low?

3. sonichedgehog360

Yes, this is down around 0-5%. I remember reading in the forums here how someone once experimented and found that the Dell Venue 11 Pro charger can go faster. However, that charger sends a higher voltage whenever it detects a device pulling a high amperage. Since the Surface 3's own charger isn't designed with higher voltages (>5 V), this could very well damage the Surface 3's electrical system and/or battery. Otherwise, I have tried various 3 A / 24 W Quick Charge 3.0 chargers and have seen zero improvement in the charge times.

[​IMG]

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9219/the-surface-3-review/8

JoeS and SAM 2013 like this.
  4. SAM 2013

2nd place....from the bottom
    How long or hours did you get before it ran down?

5. sonichedgehog360

That is one area the Surface 3 does surprisingly well in. 6-8 hours on average.

SAM 2013 likes this.
  6. djas

djas Graffiti User

6 hours. It's that slooooow. (still loving it)

sonichedgehog360 and SAM 2013 like this.
  7. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

Sounds like what I'm doing. I've given up on the 8" tablets, I think porting W10M to it would be a better choice as it is slow even when just running OneNote. I want to have an 8" device that can turn on and start OneNote as fast as a phone. Maybe Windows on ARM devices.

S3 is very slow to charge via USB but as bronsky said, with the dock, it is much faster. You can grab a dock on Amazon for about $40. Depending on what MS offers this month, I may buy one.

8. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Scribbler - Standard Member

I might buy a dock too just to charge it faster. Ironically, the battery life is just as long as the charge time for me... About 6 hours each way. The faster charger I have takes maybe 4-5hrs.

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

@SAM 2013,

If you're giving up on 8" tablets and moving on from your AVN8, the Surface 3 is a prime candidate. It has an awesome display, is nearly perfectly sized if you're upgrading to a 10" device, is incredibly well made, has a great keyboard cover, is fanless, and the pen easily ranks within the top of the penabled systems on the market.

If the Baytrail Atom and the 2GB RAM were sufficient for your needs, the S3's X7-Z8700 Atom and 4GB RAM (4GB/128GB recommended) will feel like a sports car, compared to your old AVN8. The only other option I see for you would be the last generation Thinkpad Tablet 2 with AES Wacom pen. The TPT2 is powered by the X7-Z8750 Atom, which is a slight bump up from the X7-Z8700. Its display is not as bright, it doesn't have a kickstand and its keyboard is not adjustable. The biggest problem you may have with both units is outdoor view-ability. I haven't experimented with a matt finish SP but I'm sure they're out there.

The charging issue is not a problem if you get a dock, which you can pick up on EBay for a few bucks. In all, the S3 is a great device. There have been problems with the displays. Early ones turned yellow after a year or so. I would be careful of this if you buy used. I am on my second unit and have a hot spot on this display that will probably have me turning it in before the Complete Care ends this May 5th.

I love the size of this tablet, its resolution, weight and lack of fan so much that I am looking for a 10" tablet to replace it. I have a Galaxy Note 5 that I use as a moleskin note taker. Larger note taking tasks and serious annotations are reserved for the S3. In the office, I use the S3 docked to a full sized KB, 23" 1080p Display and mouse, all wired through the dock. The Galaxy Book 10 looks like a serious contender to replace the S3 but only because I need a bit more power, given the additional tasks I have delegated to my S3. The GB10 will have Wacom EMR technology for its pen. Otherwise, I'll probably be keeping my S3 until we see W10/ARM devices next year.

10. SAM 2013

I would stay with the 8" if I could find an old fashioned 4:3 screen aspect in a modern
    configuration with a Wacom pen.
    There is lots of scrolling with the 16:9 width wise in tablet mode.

I still like my Asus 8" and it is 32 bit, we have 2 programs that only
    like 32 bit OS. So I'll keep it for that, but a larger screen will be easier on
    my eyes.

The Thinkpad looks like it has a 16:9 screen?
    The Surface 3 sounds good as long as the pen works better on it
    than the SP3's pen.

Thanks

sonichedgehog360 likes this.