Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

1. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It is okay. I just posted up videos in a hurry last night when it was late since I was looking for sample footage of people using the pen. There are only a couple videos in the entire world in existence of stylus footage on this tablet, so I had just put up what little I could find without prewatching it thoroughly. I now actually just watched it closely at the beginning and noticed the lag issues that clearly are not normal for this tablet. The person probably loaded so much customized software that it got bogged down. In other video, that is, if you watch at the 4:00 mark in the Tech Tablets video, you can get a much better indication of the actual stylus performance. It is worlds apart.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

OK - now you've got my attention - and followed your video to where the reviewer modded his tablet with a better thermal connection between the Core M processor and the back plate to reduce the processor temp from 92 C to 70C - but best of all is that you CAN open this puppy up, and even install a 512gb SSD. AND YES SPORTS FANS yo can use an SSD with the Core M - you don't have to rely on that lame eMMC stuff (are you listening Samsung?)

Mesosphere and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  3. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Scribbler - Standard Member

Fwiw, I have this academic variant of the surface 3 and love it. I use a 128gb micro SD card for my OneDrive and it's just as fast as the built in eMMC. The 4gb of memory is the important spec compared to the standard 64gb configuration. This also includes the keyboard and pen in that price too.

If you must have Wacom, the S3 obviously isn't for you, but I only take notes, draw graphics and do math. I also prefer Wacom but I'm okay with ntrig and I REALLY didn't want another 16:9 device.

SAM 2013 and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

And you realize what you can do with a Dremmel on it?

Digital artist found dead in home. Details sketchy.

5. dstrauss

:newpalm::vbbiggrin::thumbsup: but it looks a little tight in there...

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

(resists temptation to comment ... :vbfrown:)

7. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Scribbler - Standard Member

I'll be keeping an eye on the Galaxy Book 10 and will be interested to see how it benchmarks against the Surface 3. I'm hoping against hope that the eMMC will somehow be better this time around. Would it have killed Samsung to just use UFS or a proper SSD? I blame Intel and their crazy prices for Core M. Worst case I buy a used Surface 3 at a big savings and use it until through some tragic coincidence it dies shortly after Surface Pro 5 is released ;)

Bronsky likes this.
  8. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I installed the creators update yesterday and while the features are better, I feel like performance has kind of gone backwards. Like I am noticing some lag that wasn't really there before. Standby time is also very bad. I took it off the charger at 9:30am this morning, didn't touch my S3 until around 11:30am and I was at 88% battery life. As I am typing this I am at 80% battery life. I am hoping it take like a few days to settle and all, but so far the extra features do not outweigh the loss in performance and battery life.

9. dstrauss

I would expect that from Kuma, but not you...:rolleyes:

I wouldn't give Samsung cover - if @sonichedgehog360 's Cube Mix can have Kaby Lake Core M, with a 128gb SATA M2 drive, FOR $300 and change, then there is NO EXCUSE for Samsung or any other vendor, with their buying power, to resort to eMMC - NONE!:mad:

dellaster and Bronsky like this.
  10. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This looks like a 16:9 display, is it?
    Does it have this eMMC