Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

1. cookies4you

cookies4you Scribbler - Standard Member

Sony was the Apple of the Windows world, and Microsoft is its replacement.

2. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

One thing to take in to consideration when talking about battery life on an x86 Windows Device vs. iPad or Android device. Legacy Win32 code is less efficient and will always use more battery then a Mobile App.

So any test using Chrome, Skype Desktop, iTunes, uTorrent, etc. will result in much lower battery life. Using Windows Apps (aka MUI Apps) will increase battery life substantially.

3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

You have to take it through five or six charge cycles before you reach optimal charge level on most batteries. If it is the first thing you do you will always be disappointed.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

4. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Do your test the battery according to the use case they specifically describe? For example, when they say up to 10 hours for video, the test they did was probably using a locally stored file played using a format/app which makes use of the hardware decoder. This is much more efficient than, for example, streaming a YouTube video using Chrome. They are being perfectly truthful (in every case I've tested) if you read the fine print.

Are they being intentionally misleading? Probably =P But I understand why they do it. Comparing to something like an iPad, it is the most apples to apples comparison to make. The difference is the iPad will not allow you to do inefficient things (limiting your options to some extent), and the Windows tablet will let you do them at your own peril. The problem is, the typical user shoots themselves in the foot... In fact, many of us are buying Windows tablets specifically because they let us shoot ourselves in the foot. We want legacy x86 compatibility on our tablets... but with that comes code which CPU efficiency advancements have not addressed. The CPU technology does not exist yet to make code which constantly keeps the CPU busy power efficient. The only way to make the responsible legacy code run for 9-10 hours with current technology is a large (and heavy) battery.

With each generation the chip makers are making small incremental advancements in efficiency under load, but the primary advancement we've seen recently is due to "sleep while idle" methods.

5. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, I agree that they are not lying. Do I use the test they describe? Of course not. There is no way that I can know what tricks they are using. Maybe shut down everything not absolutely necessary, maybe throttle the cpu, etc.

Anyway, thanks for the comments.

Best regards, Jim

6. hawkeye62

I respectfully disagree. l have never seen battery life increase over time. It always decreases from day one.

Best regards, Jim

7. Mesosphere

They don't need to go to those extents. For video, all they need to do (assuming a clean install) is play an h264 encoded mp4 using the stock MUI Video app with the screen at a lowish brightness.

8. hawkeye62

So, no one else is having problems with this site? All three PCs that I use find this site almost unusable when typing.

Jim

9. hawkeye62

And how is that related to real life?

Regards, Jim

10. Mesosphere

How is it not?