Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Spartanjet

Spartanjet Pen Pal - Newbie

If it really only gets 5.5h per charge minus any chrome usage than I'm going to cancel my preorder. 27.5w is really too small for this device and I don't want to carry around an extra power source. Even my 1.5 year old Venue 11 5130 has a 32whr battery and its relatively light and replaceable.

2. cookies4you

cookies4you Scribbler - Standard Member

Hm... I've been wondering now, but why is Gizmodo the only site with a Surface 3 review?

Shouldn't there be a review embargo?

3. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Point me to where MS lied?

From the MS webpage:

4. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, I agree that MSdid not
    Yeah, I agree that MS didn't lie, BUT all OEMs, including MS, give misleading battery life claims. I have never gotten OEM claimed battery life with my very light use. And some OEMs don't give enough battery specs for a user to estimate battery life. mAh is worthless unless operating voltage is known, "up to" is worthless unless clear explanation of conditions is made, number of cells is worthless. Wh is the only meaningful battery spec and very few OEMs list that spec. So, no MS didn't lie, but they and other OEMs sure do obfuscate.

Best regards, Jim

5. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Mostly likely because other sites don't feel like two days with a device is enough to review it I'd guess.

6. yuki

yuki Scribbler - Standard Member

That depends on CPU-architecture and display type.

I will your question a slight bit simplified - as explaining every detail and model would make the post very long and wouldnt add important details.

In the typical Z3xxx/baytrails and core X3/5/7/cherryfield, usually with 7-11 incch screen, the display is often the main power drain. The CPU only consumer 1, 2,5, 4-5 watt under full load.

If one looks at the MUCH more power-hungry core i3/5/7s - these cpus easily use 20 watts under load, so in those systems, its the other way around: the cpu will consume most.

In the middle of the road, you find the energyefficients core i3/5/7s in the -y edition and the core M, in those systems cpu and display power consumption are pretty much balanced. The core i3/5/7-y, as example usually are forced too only 6,5 (or 11w) power requirement max, less than half of their more energyhungty -u siblings.

ships10 likes this.
  7. hawkeye62

Very nice explanation!

One other thing I have noticed is that TDP is often exceeded under load. So, even a low CPU TDP isn't a guarantee of low power consumption.

Best regards, Jim

8. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

As I said, I'm reserving judgement till the battery runtime is confirmed but as far as I know, 5.5 hours is a far cry from "up to 10".

9. hawkeye62

Anyone else having problems with this web site? Repeated no response and freeze with IE. Not as bad with Google Chrome. Site is almost unusable.

Jim

10. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's not just the CPU-architecture and display type; there's a whole range of other factors that come into play that the OEMs will play around with.

I thought that this article from AnandTech on how OEMs are using Core M, and arriving at very different places, was particularly good in pointing out the design choices that can be made.