Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

1. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm not using chrome, prefer Firefox in desktop mode.
    If I get one and a half hour more battery life than my current i5 SP3 it's ok.
    I won't be compromising less for an Atom CPU tablet.
    I'm not expecting 9-10 hours but at least 7 yours is reasonable level that must S3 offer.

5-6 hours is not acceptable.

I will wait to see more review and maybe I will make the preorder and if I'm not satisfied I will return it back to MS.

2. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Say we don't use chrome that's what an extra 30 minutes to maybe an hours, for a total of maybe 7 hours? That's really not good for a modern Atom device with connected standby. Hell, my old Vaio TT(11.1in display) did 6 hours with the dvd drive on and almost 7 with it off, and that with a last gen ULV C2D and a 6 cell. I was really hoping by now that 10 hours was standard on ULV and Atom devices, but that doesn't really seem to be the case. If this pans to really be true, MS & Intel have a bit of a problem on their hands as the more powerful cpu is getting better battery life vs the power saver. I really need a new tablet as Tegra 3 isn't cutting it, nor is the lack of a It looks like HP maybe getting my money next month.

3. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's not very good either but at at least is reasonable level for an tablet-pc with windows with touchscreen and active digitager.
    Of course I would like 8-9 hours but minimum 7 hours it good level for a Windows tablet.
    But as you said MS and Intel must find better battery efficiency combination between software and hardware.

Sent from my iPad Air 2 using Tapatalk

4. deasla

deasla Pen Pal - Newbie

You all forget that you charge this from the usb.
    Any 30 dollar external battery charger can charge this.
    So the batery is not really an issue.

5. cookies4you

cookies4you Scribbler - Standard Member

Any time I see Chrome being used in a battery test, I immediately disregard it and move onwards in the review.

southdunes and gcoupe like this.
  6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

There are likely to be quite a few new Atom options once Cherry Trial units start to circulate. The Z20t looks like a great unit, but I don't see it as a companion device. It is more of a notebook replacement. With IRIS graphics showing up in 15w Skylake chips, that would probably be my top choice for a notebook replacement CPU not the Core M in the Toshiba. X7 or Core M for a companion device. I really like the quality of the Surface. I'm going with the S3. If it is flawed, I have a month to decide if I want to keep it. By then, we should be able to see what other options are available (8" tablets?). I suspect that the S3 is a keeper.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  7. tsigalko

tsigalko Pen Pal - Newbie

In my country don't have MS store. I must wait til early May to try demo unit by myself.
    Only my wish from Surface 3 is to play more game than my HP Pavilion x2 10. If it can play nds emu and ppsspp smoother than HP, i will change to it for sure. I think S3 suitable with my work for sure but after work, i' m not sure of it.
    Now i can play game such as castlevania, darksiders 1&2, devil may cry, yb raider (all of them in low setting) with my HP. I think S3 will better than my HP.
    But from the reviewer said battery life can perform around 5-7 hrs. (without play game). That was upset to me. I don't see any official spec of battery capacity from microsoft and internet. Hope the real S3 will more capacity than demo unit.

8. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not forgetting anything, having to cart around another battery because the battery life is crap is ridiculous. I'll be judging for myself when I get mine but if true for an Atom device 5 hours really is abysmal.

bloodycape likes this.
  9. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

For me I don't really have a main notebook, just a Broadwell intel NUC desktop(my HTPC). So, for me a companion device or main portable device makes no real difference to me as long it meets my needs. I know my mythical device doesn't exist and probably won't as it seems usb and sd slots are dropping like flies, but why should battery life stay the same, or in the case of the S3 possibly be not as good. All I want is an S3 like specs(specially newest Atom with full powered USB3) but with at least 9 hours of battery. This wouldn't have been an issue if the power covered worked with the S3.

Even 6.5 hours isn't that good since older Atom models are getting like 7-9 hours in a similar size package.

10. Avenger

Avenger Scribbler - Standard Member

Good review except for the battery life. I don't know why the pen seemed a bit laggy to me at the Microsoft Stores.