Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HeavyHanded

HeavyHanded Windows Tablet PC Zealot!

Sigh...
    I hope this doesn't turn into TheVerge's comment section. I will take Elsa's advice and just "Let It Go."

I appreciate the good advice. There is no Microsoft Store in Japan, so I will call them up and see what they say.

I will try the super glue suggestion as well. The replacement of broken tip should be a bit easier. Whoops, there I go talking about design. I will stop here.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  2. deryk

deryk Pen Pal - Newbie

Well Best Buy has the 128gb version on sale for $499. I picked one up and took it back shortly it kept shutting down and I couldn't even get it to start/settings before it turned off. 2nd one took a few hours to update. But having low band width tonight(guess from all the snow maybe a pole went down or something somewhere.

Figured for the price I would test it out with somethings I would like to run on it and see if I like it. The size is great for an easy carry tablet to keep in my sling bag for reading on and some web surfing. I used to carry a dell venue 8 pro but found it too limited and the new dell venue 8 pro doesn't seem to be doing well and the HP new 8" model is the same price as the Surface 3 and seems to have issues as well.

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Well ... February 5th will be 9 months that I have had my Surface 3 and have been using it as a daily driver. It still runs like it is brand new, even though I have often "ridden it hard and put it up wet" (not being a horse person, I'm not sure I really understand what that means but it sounds great).
    [​IMG]
    The CPU temperatures haven't really changed over the 9 months. These temps are at 4pm after I have been using the S3 in its dock all day. Even the battery wear hovers between 5 and 6% after all that time and I do not take special care of the battery. In all, I think the S3's performance over that time is impressive.

At the risk of drawing a target on my own back, I have to agree that the pens should be more robustly designed. The criteria should be that the product should be able to withstand a reasonable amount of misuse and abuse. That is particularly true considering that Microsoft has designed these pens to sit OUTSIDE the tablet in a small loop. The pen is clearly going to be banged around in that application.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
    alextrela182, connman and HeavyHanded like this.
  4. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

I doubt MSFT will ever give us a pen silo option for their surface's. Maybe in the book, and when we look at the patent application for the new pen, its kinda like a little cradle.

I dont want to silo a robust pen. I just want a super cap pen that I can always rely on if my more robust option is not available.

Please take this into consideration Redmond.

Bronsky likes this.
  5. HeavyHanded

HeavyHanded Windows Tablet PC Zealot!

A very skilled person in the IT dept extracted my pen tip. He used label making tape (from the label making gun), cut it, and carefully inserted two pieces around the broken pen.
    I contacted MSFT through email and online chat. No reply. Very odd, since I've used online chat many times in the past and always got a helpful support agent, and yes, I contacted them over two days during business hours. Anyway, rejoice with me! For the pen that I had thought was a lost cause, has now returned to serve me faithfully again.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...authkey=!ANzaUAaZjdwzxkE&v=3&ithint=photo,jpg

jvloyola, Bronsky and Kumabjorn like this.
  6. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I noticed in my device manager that Microsoft virtual wifi miniport adapter is missing drivers(code 28). i did a search, but I am not sure where I can find the particular drivers for this. I think drivers went missing when I installed the new firmware and build 14251 recently.

7. Bronsky

Maybe reinstall the update? I don't have any driver issues since the last update. Where is the adapter, under System Devices?

8. crp852

crp852 Pen Pal - Newbie

It means after having ridden a horse hard (i.e., at a gallop, etc.) long enough that the horse is sweating, you put it back in the stable without walking the horse around, giving it the chance to cool down. Which, due to horse physiology, can mean anything from nothing, to something bad, to ugly, to being fatal (rarely) happening to the animal. In other words, take the time to properly put your toys away after you're done playing with them.

Still rockin' my S3 too,
    crp

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
    Bronsky likes this.
  9. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Other devices. I deleted the item and restarted my computer to see if that was the case, but no. Then reinstalled the build update and still the same thing. Maybe it's missing the drivers for it in this build? I am not even sure what microsoft virtual wifi miniport adapter is for, because my WiFi is working fine.

10. Bronsky

I don't seem to have one of those under "other devices". All I have is SMS and MMS messaging. Odd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.