Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

3. alextrela182

Take a look at my Pro 4
    And 0% battery wear from battery bar

Absolute normal.

[​IMG]

4. alextrela182

@ dstrauss Because you have brand new you get 39,975
    At the beginning me too get even more than 40,000
    After 2-3 weeks you will see that the number will be as mine today as you use the device much longer.

At the begging always the full charge capacity should be as the design capacity.
    Maybe 2-3% down its again normal but not such a huge differences for a brand new device.
    Totally unacceptable.

I'm getting 10,000 lower or 1/3 less of the full design capacity.

As I mentioned never get that result from any kind of windows portable device last 6-7 years as I remember not only windows tablet but laptop used in the past.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@alextrela182 Surely that is a defective battery in your unit...

6. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yes I read that article a while ago but VZN said it may drop signal if I'm not in a 4G signal range since it's not designed for the Verizon network . ie no 3G capability .
    I'm thinking of waiting for any news on the specs of a S4.
    I think it'll come with LTE.
    It's got to ...they don't have a choice to go slow in a fast paced market .

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Take it back, something is wrong. I've lost 6% of design capacity in 8 months. And, I'm tough on a battery becaue I am always topping it off to keep the unit at 100%.

8. connman

connman Scribbler - Standard Member

[QUOTE="alextrela182, post: 464557, member: 43729]

I'm getting 10,000 lower or 1/3 less of the full design capacity.

[/QUOTE]

I had a similar experience.

Out of the box (after first full charge), HWMonitor reported 20% battery wear.

I was very disappointed and posted to this forum about it. The response was to see how it goes after a few cycles because it could be Windows rather than the unit. So I decided to wait it out a few cycles.

Why did I wait and see rather than exchange immediately? I had a 30 day return policy anyway, and the device was otherwise perfect. Meaning the screen brightness for this unit was perfect and the color temperature perfect. Build was perfect. I'm nuts, so I had compared a couple units against each other before settling on this one.

Since that first crappy charge, battery wear is consistently between 3% and 6%. And legitimately back and forth, as in right now it reports 3% wear.

This is not ideal for me in that I prefer to be lucky and get a unit that reports full charge capacity that exceeds design capacity (as is the case with my Asus Vivotab Note 8).

On the other hand, since it's Windows that's doing the calculations rather than the battery actually reporting a true number, it's just as likely that Windows is incorrectly reporting my full charge capacity on the Asus Vivotab Note 8. (Is it really possible that full charge capacity can exceed design capacity by 1,000+ mWh? That's what I'm getting reported on my Asus).

Ultimately, after seeing a consistent wear between 3% and 6%, I decided to keep the Surface 3.

So my long-winded advice is that you maybe wait a week and see where the numbers lay, if you otherwise like the particular unit that you've got.

AND AFTER THAT LONG-WINDED POST, I realize you've got two battery cycles, rather than just one. That's not a good sign. Try one more cycle or just take the darn thing back. :)

alextrela182 likes this.
  9. alextrela182

Well it's driving me crazy!!!
    After 2 full cycle of charging and the battery wear has minimize first time to 21% and now after the second full charge to 8.6%!!!!!!!

Now the changes is 50-50 if I will keep it or not.
    If within next week or two go under 3-4% and stabilize in that level I will keep it eventually.

Seems that battery needed calibration with the full charge from 0 to 100%

And still not finished the full second charging.

Edit: Just finished the full charge with 9.5% battery wear.

@connman: Yes you are right.

I will decide within next week or two because everything else seems rock solid with 0 issue so far.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    Luft likes this.
  10. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

More obligatory news trickling in to add to the growing pile of Willow Trail/Broxton hype. This comes straight from Fool.com, where they mention some facts about the chip design which were touted on an Intel employee's LinkedIn profile. No concrete data, but if it is on the scale of the jump from Clover Trail to Bay Trail, this will be spectacular:
    "Broxton, according to one Intel employee's LinkedIn profile, delivers a 'completely new architecture' compared to the prior-generation Cherry Trail chip. The profile also states that Broxton 'brings major improvements in power consumption, performance, and platform security features' from the prior-generation chip."
    Source: http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...ntel-corps-newest-compute-stick-is-a-dis.aspx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.