Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

They don't have 2-3 years of life left in Windows Phone. If the 2016 Surface Phone release doesn't light the fire the same way the Surface Pro 3 did for the Surface line, there will be no Windows Phone by then.

dellaster and Kumabjorn like this.
  2. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

I'd they want the phone to succeed, they need to get their head out of their butt and do it carrier neutral like Apple and Google. The current release plan was all but made to fail. AT&T only was a poor decision.

3. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

950 is AT&T but 950XL is carrier neutral for all GSM Networks, Sprint and Verizon with their CDMA and LTE implementations require major hardware revisions and neither is very friendly to MS. GSM covers 95% of the world market.

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Could not agree more. The window is closing.:vbcool:

soh5 likes this.
  5. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well after all Windows mobile is dead platform as it is today.
    Only when moved to x86 and optimized Windows 10 to phone capability and UI then maybe has a change to success in mobile world.
    But don't forget it's not in MS hang all of that until Intel deliver the proper CPU-GPU combination.
    Intel right now it's far behind Apple soc architecture for mobile platform.
    Until goes to 10nm witch not happened until second half of 17 we won't see any potential until then.

And don't forget that whatever Intel promise is not always happens in real life like current Core M Skylake witch totally failed from battery efficiency prospect.

As you know better than everyone MS go little little step by step not huge one.
    Is acting like dinosaurs in modern technology life.
    Flexibility is unknown word for them.
    Late 17 is the optimistic scenario of seeing truly Windows mobile device x86 architecture.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

6. dprice7

dprice7 Scribbler - Standard Member

One could argue that Verizon is responsible for Android's success, back when they couldn't offer iPhones to their customers. It's foolish to write that market off. Folks typically choose a device that works with their carrier, not the other way around. Plus, Apple/Google have set the precedent for single-sku devices for all carriers when buying an unlocked phone. There's no valid excuse to not support Verizon/Sprint on a flagship device.

I've always used GSM providers, but in the next year I'm moving outside of town. Guess who's the only provider with coverage? Hint: it's not AT&T.

7. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

They've been at it for almost 6 years now, (announced in Feb 2010, launched in October same year), if they'd wanted the phone to succeed its long past the time for them to do something about it but they've instead turned all efforts to ios and android under the excuse of "they have more users". With falling marketshare, buggy software and no real differentiating features giving WP/W10M 2 years is being generous.
    Sent from The Flagship L830

dstrauss likes this.
  8. revmike

revmike Scribbler - Standard Member

I applaud all of you and your tech knowledge, but for me I'll be glad when this thread goes back to talking about the S3.

Telstar1948 likes this.
  9. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

At this point, really the only thing that would convert me to Windows phone would be:
    • Surface build quality with integrated kickstand
    • Pen input
    • Full x86 Windows with phone UI but ability to run desktop programs if one so-chooses
    • Re-vamping Project Astoria for Android apps
    A lot to ask for, but if they did something like that I really don't see how it could flop. A power user's dream.

alextrela182 likes this.
  10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Hmmmm - I could see how MS could make it a flop...connected standby anyone?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.