Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I have the Note 3 and to me it is the closest digital solution to paper and pen I have encountered. But if you're sitting in a classroom and watching whiteboards at the same time I can see how a larger device is simpler to work with since you can focus elsewhere and write st the same time, you can't do that with a Samsung Note.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I guess it depends on your use. For lengthy note taking and organizing class notes, I agree that the GN5 is too small. But, for functions like that I would much prefer my S3 over my old AVN8 any day. I use my GN5 as a note pad when researching, jotting down case citations and making notes about the legal issues addressed in various opinions. Making notes during a judge's ruling in the Courtroom. I use it as a note pad when reviewing documents, if I am not annotating the documents themselves. I use it as a to do list. To take down phone numbers, etc. To record time using Xodo on a PDF timesheet. To record a thought that would otherwise get away. And, yes, at least to me, the pen is far quicker than using a VKB. I don't use the Samsung software, opting to default to OneNote, mainly to keep all my notes in one place, no matter which device I am using when I make them. For those functions, the GN5 is superior to an 8" tablet and for more serious work, like annotating large documents or editing, the 10" tablet is the better device IMO. YMMV.

dstrauss likes this.
  3. Kumabjorn

I should add that since a month ago I quit my present contract with my mobile operator and switched to a virtual operator. Unfortunately tethering didn't work with that set up so I got a Windows phone in order to just have tethering on that. This means that I no longer have a Sim card in my Galaxy note 3, as a consequence I now have battery life for three days. I had no idea that the radio for contacting cell towers chewed up that much energy.

Balbutio ergo sum

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

That's very interesting - maybe I need to invest in a used one as a digital notepad (or I should have gone GN5 instead of iPhone 6s+)

5. Kumabjorn

If you can get one of the older models on eBay for a penny or two it might be worth it to check out if that is a setup that will work with your work flow. Maybe they'll even allow you know what.

Balbutio ergo sum

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

;):confused::eek:o_O - you mean the "R" word...

7. Kumabjorn

I like to think of it as the D word

Yes, I'm happy to see you and that is a Sony Xperia in my pocket

dstrauss likes this.
  8. PrznMovieFan

PrznMovieFan Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been having WIFI problems as well, so thought I'd try this, but when I try to go to the folder for it in Control Panel it tells me Windows has the best WIFI driver installed already, so do I need to uninstall it first? Very leary on that, so if anyone has any pointers it'd be appreciated, the battery life has been terrible on WIFI :(

9. Big'Un

Big'Un Pen Pal - Newbie

Sure! First make sure you download the zip and extract it. Then, go to device manager, expand out the Marvell network adapter. Right-click, choose update driver software. Choose Browse my computer for driver software. Next, select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer. Click Have Disk. Browse to the wlan folder in the extracted files and select the .inf file. You should then be able to proceed to get it installed.

Bronsky likes this.
  10. PrznMovieFan

PrznMovieFan Pen Pal - Newbie

AH THANKS!!! It was the Have Disk part that I was missing, much appreciated! Installed it now, hopefully it'll help, been very disappointed this has not been getting 8-10 hours battery (have brightness set to 50%, bluetooth off(

jvloyola and Big'Un like this.