Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I read over in the SP4 thread that M has very little battery life over the i5.

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I would love to be wrong, but I truly don't think Core M is in the Cards for the Surface 4. I'll still be getting one. If there is a Core M option, I'll be getting one.

3. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

If the Surface 4 solves the bottle neck of the turtle paced emmc drive with a newer speedier version, as far as a mobile companion., you cannot go wrong. I dont need extreme raw horse power in a pdf reader (drawboard is still the best app ever made, even with its "flaws").

I could see this eventually being a daily driver for me if the emmc problem is fixed.

bloodycape and alextrela182 like this.
  4. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well let me know you that 2 weeks having m3 sp4 I'm not pleased at all with the battery life with Core M
    It's definitely 1.5-2 hours less than my previous Surface 3 and even less than my i5 SP3.
    I don't know why is this happening perhaps(a thought) maybe got somehow defective unit because I'm having also a blizzard electrical noise or drivers issue that's why I order new one unit and hope delivered better battery life free of any kind of noise or other issue and keep it eventually,otherwise and the second unit will be returned and I'm done with m3 version for good.

I'm going to order i5 version.

And from what I read neither other proposal with Skylake Core M has very good battery life for example HP Spectre X2.
    Somethings wrong with MS/Intel implementation and has to be fixed quickly but definitely I'm not going to be beta testers and wait for that for unknown time and having that horrible battery life every day.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
    Luft and efjay like this.
  5. JeffreyMAbq

JeffreyMAbq Pen Pal - Newbie

OK, so 250 pages of this thread, I have definitely gotten some tips on improving my Surface performance. I went from loving it to REALLY loving it. Thanks for all your advice!

But, somewhere I saw a screen capture somebody had used that showed the time remaining on their battery in either the notifications area, or in the tool bar - What app is everyone using?

EDIT - I picked BatteryBar, but someone correct me if there is a better app out there.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  6. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

Around Wednesday or Thursday Microsoft dropped their base S3 price from $499 to $399. If you select it to purchase, you're then offered the type cover for $79+. The following day Best Buy put the same price on their site too (don't know about the type cover because I haven't checked that out yet). The 4 RAM/128 GB model dropped from $599 to $499.

I'm interested because I'm looking for a backup device/tablet sort of device. I know some of you use the S3 as your daily driver. When I had an Asus T100 I thought it was pretty good running Windows so I'm thinking the S3 has got to be quicker and better from a hardware perspective too.

7. dprice7

dprice7 Scribbler - Standard Member

That $100 discount on the tablet is so tempting... Next year's Surface 4 won't be good enough to replace my SP2 (assuming no CoreM), so it seems like now would be the time to pull the trigger. My SP2 is thick and heavy and doesn't have the best battery life for surfing/notes, but it still does everything I need in a tablet. I really don't need it, but I can't resist a bargain.

I have a DV8 Pro I occasionally use for surfing/email, and it gets painfully slow/laggy/freeze ups just browsing with Edge; is the S3 better? From what I've seen, baytrail and cherrytrail only really differs in GPU....

8. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

Well...I pulled the trigger. Bought the S3 4/128 today! Price was $499 - decided the $100 difference was worth it to go from 64 GB to 128 and from 2 GB RAM to 4 GB. They had the S3 type cover for $79 so I got that as well. Of course, I had to get the pen so I got the S3/SP3/SP4 pen (new one). It was $10 more than the one originally designed for the S3. Everything I read on the forums said that the new pen was better with the S3 than the original.

Setting it up now, downloading 5000 GB of updates (poetic license there).

From everything I've read, the S3 is quick...not i5 quick, but depending on your use case, it will handle office tasks without issue. I had an Asus T100 that I used as a backup device running Windows & my stuff. It performed very well, and I know the S3 can kick the T100's butt.

I plan to use mine as a backup to my ThinkPad Yoga 14. If the TP ever goes down, I plan to already have nearly all my business & personal software loaded on the S3 so I can just hook it up to the external monitor and not lose any time with my work. I also plan to use the S3 as a companion/tablet device to my TP by using the S3 for most mobile scenarios. My TP isn't real large or real heavy, but the S3 will serve quite well so I can leave my TP hooked up in my desktop setup. Anyway, that's the plan. I'll see how everything goes. I've got 45 days with Best Buy to return everything if worse comes to worst. However, from all I've gathered, I think I will be well pleased with the S3.

connman, gcoupe, Bronsky and 2 others like this.
  9. revmike

revmike Scribbler - Standard Member

I love mine, I bought the Costco bundle for 655.00. Windows10, 128/4gb, keyboard, stylus and 1 year of office personal along with 90 days return option. My wife took over my Sp2.

Telstar1948 and Bronsky like this.
  10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

You will. 'Grats.

Telstar1948 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.