Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Actually, I have had one issue since posting this. A couple of times, my unit would not wake up from sleep and had to be rebooted. Should be easily addressed with an update.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  2. revmike

revmike Scribbler - Standard Member

It arrived on Nov 30 and I had to send it back for a replacement, the display would dim if you were not interacting with it after 1 minute. Changed settings in power and still dims even plugged in it would dim. 2 resets later Microsoft deemed it a hardware issue so back it went to Costco on Dec 3. While I had I liked it, especially the screen colors and aspect ratio.

HeavyHanded and Bronsky like this.
  3. HeavyHanded

HeavyHanded Windows Tablet PC Zealot!

I've experienced that. And by rebooting you mean holding your finger down on the power button for like 15 seconds, right?

One thing I have noticed is right after shutting down, if I press the power button the S3 will not respond. I have to wait like a minute, then press power button.

Restarting is the better option but sometimes that takes a bit longer.

At night I shut it down.

Bronsky likes this.
  4. Bronsky

Yes. I'm talking about holding the button down for 15 seconds until Windows resets. I couldn't shut down when in that state. I would get the start screen that said swipe down to shut down the unit but when I swipe it won't do it.

5. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I've had that problem before and then realized that if I hit ctrl+alt+del it would fix it for me most of the time.

Bronsky likes this.
  6. Bronsky

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...So, does this mean that Edge is finally getting an ad blocker?..>>

...That's how I interpreted it...

Bronsky likes this.
  8. Bronsky

Cleaning out my briefcase this weekend, I came across my Surface 3's charger and it occurred to me that I haven't used it in over two months. The docked use (which probably averages under 30% of my day) is sufficient to recharge the S3 back to a full charge and the full charge lasts long enough that there has been no reason to charge in between dockings for the last couple of months. That is true even over weekends and on overnight trips. I don't ever plug in the S3 when I'm not in the office. Of course, I haven't had to travel more than overnight during that time.

I wonder if Core M will be able to perform in a similar manner? It is really nice to eliminate the need to tether the device at all when your traveling.

dstrauss likes this.
  9. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Judging from my m3 SP4 the battery life on Surface 3 is 1-1.5 hour better maybe 2 hours when most of the time browsing with IE.

I hope future implementation of Core M CPU on Surface 4 don't impact such negative way to the battery life.

I do like the performance boost and the magnetic charger on m3 but I really miss the battery life and the Windows button on Surface 3.
    Finger cross.

I would like to see surface tablet and having both the benefits of Surface 3 and m3 SP4:p

Sent from my iPad Air 2

Luft likes this.
  10. HeavyHanded

HeavyHanded Windows Tablet PC Zealot!

I too will miss the Windows button on the coming "Surface 4." Here's why. I ride a crowded train going into Tokyo every morning and I use my S3 in portrait mode. I find it very difficult to use the S3 one-handed since I upgraded to Windows 10. I used to be able to swipe in from the left to cycle through open apps, now in Win10 a task switcher appears, requiring me to click it. That requires an additional hand, which when standing on the train means I have to take my hand off the strap. To get back to the Start Screen, in Win8.1 I could swipe in from the right and click the Start button. In Win10 I have no choice but to use the Windows button (capacitive) that I have oriented to the top of the screen. If the Windows button in gone, it will mean reaching all the way down to the bottom of the screen, which would be very inconvenient.

alextrela182 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.