Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

1. edaniels

edaniels Scribbler - Standard Member

How much of a performance difference do you guys think there is between a Surface 3 and the Surface Pro 4 Core M3 ? Im so undecided...

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

2. jvloyola

jvloyola Scribbler - Standard Member

I think tou are looking at this wrong: you ahould be asking yourself how much of a difference will the size make for you.

The form factors are pretty different

Vinny

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...How much of a performance difference do you guys think there is between a Surface 3 and the Surface Pro 4 Core M3 ? Im so undecided...>>

...And... you need to ask yourself what you want to do. If it's lighter work, like e-mail, surfing and the occasional Office document, then the Surface 3 will be fine. If it's more intensive than that you will likely be better off with the Surface Pro 4 (M3). If you have doubts, it's my philosophy that it's better to buy up in capability...

edaniels likes this.
  4. edaniels

edaniels Scribbler - Standard Member

Size not really a factor for me...im concerned more about overall performance... are we talking night and day difference here.. or slight if any.

The thinkpad 2 is a great size.. and weight.. but after 2 years... its sluggish sometimes and gets frustrating.

I like both options.. of course i gotta pay more.for the sp4... so its a reason i keep the s3 in the picture....

jvloyola likes this.
  5. jvloyola

jvloyola Scribbler - Standard Member

Unles you are doing video or photo editing the S3 is just fine, iwas refring to the size since the S3 is about as big as I would go for a device I carry daily most of the day.

It all depends on your use scenario.

Vinny

Bronsky and edaniels like this.
  6. HeavyHanded

HeavyHanded Windows Tablet PC Zealot!

Hey, I use my S3 for 100 MB+ pdfs, 20 MB excel files, 1080p mp4s, sketching, painting, 3D modeling and a some 3D animation. The things that take the longest are launching the programs, after that, everything works great. Although I use Adobe Acrobat to create PDF's, Adobe Reader is too slow for reading and marking up. I use Drawboard or Edge. Comics books I read in Sumatra. I record audio in a Samson USB mic and edit in Audacity. For me 4GB of Ram and Atom X7 are good enough.

However, make no mistake. The M3 definitely and noticeably is faster and outperforms the Atom X7. Just check AnandTech's website.

bloodycape, Bronsky and edaniels like this.
  7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Could not agree more. Except I don't use Edge. Maybe when Microsoft finishes it. I would love to see a Core M in the Surface 4.

8. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Luft likes this.
  9. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Take a look this diagram
    http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/sp-4-core-m3-vs-sp3-core-i5.17672/page-4

PassMark highlights a few things.
    Red = SP3 i5 *(selected from their database in roughly the 85-90th percentile ranking)
    Blue = SP3 i3 *
    Yellow = S3 Atom *
    Green = SP4 core m (one run on my SP4)
    PassMark Rating: Overall score SP3 i5 edges out the SP4 core m by 9.2% that's not much really.
    CPU score SP3 i5 by 23% you could notice that at times.
    2D Graphics, SP3 i5 by 50% sounds significant but may be less important than the others. (Intel is focused on 3D graphics).
    3D Graphics Here is where the core m out performs the SP3 i5 - down -32%.
    Memory is pretty close with 8% difference (not likely noticeable on most things.)
    Disk the SP4 comes out ahead.

The SP3 i3 is beaten handily by SP4 core m and the Surface 3 which is hobbled by slow disk is far behind.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad Air 2

edaniels, Luft and HeavyHanded like this.
  10. connman

connman Scribbler - Standard Member

So after a few days of using a Surface 3, I am so disappointed that I am so late to this party. For me -- lots of business travel -- it's perfect.

I had originally planned to upgrade my x220 to a Surface Pro 4 as my everyday and travel device. After a few weeks of playing around with the SP4, I didn't take to the device. Crazy as it sounds, it was too big. And also probably crazy, I didn't feel very comfortable with the infinite adjustable kickstand. Intending to use the device for everything I do, that kickstand felt very fragile.

So I figured I would try the S3 for travel and keep my x220 for office work. The S3 is great. Perfect size. I mean really perfect. Better build quality than the SP4. For example, I've played around now with multiple S3s and no backlight bleeding on any of them. I played around with multiple SP4s and backlight bleeding on every one of them.

Using the S3 as a tablet in portrait mode is a pleasure. Not so with the SP4.

That's not to say there aren't sacrifices. The processor is really not up to par for my use, but considering I'm seeing this as my mobile option -- and not my main option -- a little extra delay here and there isn't a problem. Keyboard is not all tha great in comparison to the SP4 as we all know, but surely the S4 keyboard will change all of that.

And actually, my interest in buying the S4 when it comes out also speaks volumes to why I like the S3 more than the SP4. At the price I paid for the S3 (128GB) + keyboard + pen, I can say that I don't mind the prospect of upgrading next year. The SP4 in my needed configuration as a daily PC was 2x+ the price.

Anyway, happy customer over here. Only concern thus far is battery wear -- when I first played around with the device, HW Monitor reported 20% wear (and actually increased to 26% wear as the battery depleted). Having let it run down to 6% before recharging back to 100%, the battery wear is reported now as 5%. Not terrible but hoping another battery depletion/charge will get this being reported properly.

HeavyHanded, Bronsky and jvloyola like this.