Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think better solutions is via local postal agency(USPS) and not like UPS or DHL because there's custom control.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

2. revmike

revmike Scribbler - Standard Member

Surprisingly it works very well. No lag or slow downs. When I went to install win 10, it had over 150 updates to go through it took awhile. It had been back in it's original box in the office closet since Oct 2013.

HeavyHanded and Bronsky like this.
  3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I think better solutions is via local postal agency(USPS) and not like UPS or DHL...>>

...And you'd be wrong. Although the USPS is not very expensive, my experience is that packages can be stuck in customs for a long time. Companies like DHL cost more, but they get the packages to their destination a lot faster...

4. connman

connman Scribbler - Standard Member

Guess it depends on where you are. Here in Canada, for some reason I am less likely to be dinged for duty import charges if I receive a (tracked) delivery from USPS rather than a regular courier service like UPS or DHL.

(Seems as though our customs service is more likely to pay attention to a package from UPS or DHL than USPS).

5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

This tends to be the same in Europe, freighters inform customs automatically for pre-clearance so duties and VAT are always charged. With postal service you can send it as a "forgotten item" which means no charges (unless they are thorough and demand proof of purchase) but Steve S is correct, it usually takes longer.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

6. Steve S

<...Here in Canada, for some reason I am less likely to be dinged for duty import charges if I receive a (tracked) delivery from USPS rather than a regular courier service like UPS or DHL...>>

...Note that I never said that there would be no charges. What I said was that (if you intend this to be a gift with no strings attached) you need to make the proper arrangements so that the package is delivered with no charges to the recipient. Implicit in this statement is that, as the gift giver, you recognize and prepay all the required fees (e.g., VAT).

When dealing with overseas shipments, it helps to just play the game straight...

<<...In addition, you should consult with a shipper who handles overseas shipments. There are issues of customs delays and possible VAT that may result in costs to your friend unless you make the proper arrangements. The last time I did something like this, I bought the device (an e-reader) through Amazon and had them handle all the overseas arrangements. The device arrived in days and without any fees or charges...>>

...Because I paid them...!

7. HeavyHanded

HeavyHanded Windows Tablet PC Zealot!

Since I live in Japan, I was one of the first to get a S3 LTE. If you own an LTE S3 and use it as a tablet with pen and touch, you may have noticed that it loses pen and touch randomly which made tablet use frustrating. This isn't a Win 10 ir Win 8.1 issue specifically. I voiced my frustration in a Microsoft forum and I was contracted by a Microsoft tech support guy via DM, and he said they were aware of the problem and said it has to do with the firmware. Anyway, he sent me a firmware update to test. I updated and went to a two day conference where I used my S3 as a tablet for both days. The update worked and fixed my issue at last. I'm glad I stuck it out and didn't return my S3. It is by far the best tablet I've ever owned. The tech guy said Microsoft will be sending out the firmware update to S3 LTE users soon in a KB.

Big'Un likes this.
  8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

And that was the whole idea of buying a Surface in the first place. With its name on the device, Microsoft has skin in the game when it comes to making the device work flawlessly (even if it is messed up when it is initially released). Try getting nearly that much attention from Asus if your device isn't working properly. Glad to see you get your problem worked out. I am such a fan of this device.

Big'Un likes this.
  9. connman

connman Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey all - Just got S3 and loving it. Not sure why I am so late to the party.

But weird thing - i use HWMonitor to monitor PC temps and battery charge.

I am showing a battery wear level of 20%. Meaning, Windows is reporting the battery's capacity being 20% lower than it should be.

I am still on my first cycle as I just started using the Surface today.

Is this likely a Windows battery calibration issue or is it conceivable that I got a battery that actually has 20% wear out of the box?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Steve S

<<...Is this likely a Windows battery calibration issue or is it conceivable that I got a battery that actually has 20% wear out of the box?..>>

... The batteries need to go through a few charge-discharge cycles before they begin to operate at rated capacity. One or two complete discharge cycles (i.e., down to 5% but not lower) are also needed to properly calibrate the battery applet. Use your S3 for a while before you start getting too worried about monitor readings...

connman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.