Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Not really. If can attach but it doesn't hold all along the length of the pen. By the way, the new pen is actually longer than the origina SP3 pen.

Big'Un likes this.
  2. Big'Un

Big'Un Pen Pal - Newbie

Good to know. Maybe it will attach well enough for quick access while working, then back to the pen loop when transporting.

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

More great news. My "trifecta" (pen, keyboard, dock) may just do the trick to hold me out of the market for the SB 2 or SP 5 - not saying I still won't succumb to teh siren song of the SB, but may make it possible...

Bronsky likes this.
  4. Bronsky

Lash yourself to the mast and put wax in your ears. You might make it past the island of Faiakes.

5. dstrauss

You know me, I'm just as likely to fall in love with the SB as not, but it does feel different this time. I'm really a tablet first guy, and I don't game (or is that I have no game - never understood the difference), so other than the big screen and better lapability, I'm not sure there's a lot "there" there for users like me.

I am a bit disappointed to see the next Intel "tick" may be nearly two years away, so not sure if the SPro 5 will be another purchase point. As I sit here listening to the fan blow, it may be a fanless or near-fanless experience may be the next bug decision point.

Bronsky likes this.
  6. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Reformed Lumia Fan

Given what they've done with the new SP4 dock and the Display Dock for phones, I wonder if we might see a new Surface Dock for S4 that utilizes the Type C connector and does away with the stand and latching mechanisms in favor of the small block form factor. And maybe they eventually combine the Surface and Display docks into a single dock for both phones and non-Pro tablets.

HeavyHanded and Bronsky like this.
  7. HeavyHanded

HeavyHanded Windows Tablet PC Zealot!

On the Surface 3, what advantages does the new pen have over the current pen?

8. Bronsky

I think the tip is improved. I can form smaller letters than I can with the stock pen. I like the feel on the display. I find the writing more natural and effortless. The elimination of the threaded tip and addition of a bayonette fitting for the battery chamber are also likely design improvements, since the original design was almost universally subject to failure that was remedied by unscrewing and reseating the threaded tip and battery.

The flat area prevents the pen from rolling but makes it slightly more difficult to hold comfortably. I particularly like the eraser. It is the most efficient eraser I've seen on a digital pen. Even better than the eraser on my trusty Samsung S-10 Wacom EMR pen.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
    Big'Un likes this.
  9. dstrauss

No lashing necessary - after trying out the SB at BB today, I made the final decision to stick with the SP3 and this terrific new keyboard! More details over at the "Are You Upgrading" thread.

Bronsky likes this.
  10. kornchild2002

kornchild2002 Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, I'm certainly drooling over the Surface Book. It is exactly what I want out of a portable PC and I really like the new external Surface Dock. But the $1499 starting price tag (actually $1349 for students) is putting me off a bit. This is definitely going to have to be something that I think about for the next few weeks. I made the mistake of playing with one in my local Microsoft Store and it didn't end well. I was slowly pulling my wallet out of my pocket while my wife was shoving it back in.

Bronsky, ships10, sn_85 and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.