Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nick_white

nick_white Pen Pal - Newbie

So you don't have charging problems anymore?
    Did you use a separate cable too?

Is anyone still having problems (the dreaded "plugged in, not charging") with third party chargers & cables after the latest firmware updates?

2. jvloyola

jvloyola Scribbler - Standard Member

I still do every now and then...

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

3. jvloyola

jvloyola Scribbler - Standard Member

I still do every now and then...

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Well, now the Android universe is drooling over the $599 64gb Pixel C "productivity" tablet with a $149 aluminum keyboard (its one true advantage), and yummy Android Marshmallow (don't you just LOVE their cutesy names). For the SAME PRICE you can have a 128gb Surface 3, with 128gb mSDXC capable slot and a REAL desktop OS in Windows 10. The Android word is just as INSANE as the Apple reality distortion crowd!

specialized888, hawkeye62 and Bronsky like this.
  5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The keyboard is BT. I prefer a direct connection. The BT that I used with my Slate 500 and M80TA would have connection issues at times. I can't imagine liking the KB more than I like my Surface 3 KB. I have never really liked Android tablets. The Samsung 8" Note was the only tablet that tempted me to try it.

HeavyHanded likes this.
  6. zeek

zeek Scribbler - Standard Member

FYI. I purchased an Unlocked Surface LTE from the Microsoft Store. I was able to use my existing activated AT&T SIM from another device without a problem. Tried to use my existing activated Verizon SIM from another device and it would not connect. I contacted Verizon. They refused to activate it and told me the device is not compatible with their network.

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@Bronsky I can't even begin to fathom the value proposition of the Pixel C - insane compared to what you get with the Surface 3, and I didn't even go into the fact that $59 gets you a top notched writing and drawing tablet to boot. NO ONE is competing with the Surface line - NO ONE!

@zeek Verizon - the scourge of all carriers - I don't care if they have the best coverage - they are the Comcast of the wireless industry.

nnthemperor and HeavyHanded like this.
  8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Funny, I have Verizon Phones and Verizon Wireless with my firm and Comcast home cable. I guess I'm getting it every-which-a-way. BTW, I though the CDMA protocol didn't matter if you had a LTE device. http://www.extremetech.com/mobile/1...cdma-from-phones-in-2014-in-favor-of-pure-lte No?

@zeek Have you tried talking to a Verizon tech in a regional company store (not a franchise store). They have worked wonders for me in the past

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  9. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Scribbler - Standard Member

You nailed that! Android and Apple are not products, there are a religion.

Jim

10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

AT&T & T-Mobile ==> GSM (Uses a Sim Card Authentication System)
    Verizon & Sprint ==> CDMA (Uses Server-based Authentication, so not a Sim Card system)

LTE ==> Based on variant of CDMA. (Not sure how the authentication works, but would assume that it is server based... maybe...)

A very brief primer is here:

http://geekbeat.tv/a-guide-to-cellular-radios/

Note that the technical basis for LTE seems to be presented differently than above. However, to the best of my knowledge, my statement is correct in a very generic way! The whole cell phone radio field is fraught with complications...!

Bronsky likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.