Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Scribbler - Standard Member

Just a simple question. My wife wants a tablet that she can use for watching DVD movies and MP4 videos. MP4 videos could be on an external HD plugged into a USB port, the DVD would be plugged into a USB port. Question: Would the Surface 3 have the performance needed for quality video/movie watching?

Thanks for any advice, Jim

2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Easily.

In the worst case, if they are software decoded you might see ~25% cpu utilization. This would hurt battery life, but playback should be stutter free. More likely, if they are in a standard encoding like H.264 and you use a player that utilizes the hardware decoder you can watch FHD quality video (5Mbs) at <5% cpu utilization (smooth as butter).

One problem you might face with the DVD player and External HDD is power. The Surface 3 USB port may or may not be able to power them all by itself. An externally powered USB hub may be required.

HeavyHanded likes this.
  3. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks, just what I needed!

Jim

Mesosphere likes this.
  4. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

June and July....

5. jvloyola

jvloyola Scribbler - Standard Member

New toys came in today!.. hee is my new USB Multimeter in action. I woll posr some pictures of the new sleeve tomorrow.

[​IMG]

Vinny

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

HeavyHanded and Mesosphere like this.
  6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

None of these USB ports serve up much power. My Surface Pro 3 cratered when I attached to USB hard drives to an unpowered hub to transfer files between them.

HeavyHanded likes this.
  7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Hmmmm. I have been able to get my old Panasonic CD drive working on my S3 by simply using a Y cable and attaching the unused end to the S3's own power source. Even a battery back up. Worked perfectly.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  8. jvloyola

As promised here are some photos of the sleeve that I just got. Before ordering I was a little afraid of the fit since the amazon ad read surface 3/ surface 3 pro, but for 7 dollars I was willing to take the risk for all of us... well I am glad I did since the sleeve fit is very nice: not to tight but also the surface doesnt "dance" around in there. The inside is very nicely padded.

Vinny

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  9. jvloyola

I have been playing with the new multimeter and for people asking about the unifun charger here are my findings:

The unifun is rated at 2.4 amps output but according to this the most the S3 has been able to draw is 2.24 amps and then it goes to the "plugged in not charging" state

[​IMG]

HeavyHanded likes this.
  10. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Ah, thanks! In other words, since about the 2003 time frame and the subsequent dumbing down of the TabletPC following the release of the TC1100, this is pretty much the business norm now. My most favorite moment in recent history is when the active digitizer was being dropped because the ipad, which doesn't have one, must have been so successful because it did not have one. Yea, stellar leadership for sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.