Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm the complete opposite. Up until a month ago, I was one of those Windows users who immediately installed Start8 and got rid of Metro; never gave it the time of day. I dedicated myself to actually using my newly acquired (used) SP3 as a tablet.

Started on 10, rolled back to 8.1. Love 8.1, Metro IE is much better than Edge, and so is the whole tablet experience minus the app switcher. Everything is smoother, battery life is longer, and the machine is cooler.

My desktop is running Windows 10, have no issues there.

I don't even own a Type Cover for my SP3. For my use case, 8.1 is currently better. If project Astoria happens soon, I'll definitely upgrade to get Android apps working. I'd also upgrade if Microsoft brought back Metro IE.

2. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Unrelated, attached is a special 6-month trial license of AdGuard. Works perfectly for Edge adblock, and I'm currently using it for IE instead of tracking lists.

Attached Files:

3. Max_eb

Max_eb Pen Pal - Newbie

" Unless someone with W10 preinstalled would be willing to share their serial number, I think that's a non-starter option for most of us."

Hi,
    Could you Send me your S3 Serial Number with Imagen Recovery W8.1?
    I will send to you my Serial Number W10 S3 Model! ... OK?
    Thanks

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  4. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I went to the MS store today to see if I can get a new keyboard for some hardware issues I was having. Turns out, the issue was an issue with the Surface(which I hoping wasn't). So, I got a new Surface 3 and keyboard.

5. DanielNTX

DanielNTX Scribbler - Standard Member

Under warranty though right?

6. bloodycape

Yes, my machine even acted up in store, twice(which is where they think it was a hardware defect with my surface 3). They also told me that I will get a surface 3, even when it's replaced with the Surface 4, because that's what I am guaranteed. They still have Surface 1 in stock for such reason.

7. kornchild2002

kornchild2002 Scribbler - Standard Member

I was going to clean install Windows 10 but, as you experienced, I did not want to hunt down all the drivers for my Surface 3. But clean installing 8.1 and then immediately upgrading to 10 (after the necessary 8.1 updates were downloaded) seemed to be good enough. My Surface 3 was able to last for about 8.2 hours on a single charge with me surfing the internet using Edge, editing some photos with the default MS app, taking some notes in OneNote, and using the Facebook app. The only thing I noticed is that overnight battery drain is still pretty high at 10% but I found that putting it into Airplane mode fixed that so that overnight drain is 2%.

I'm hoping MS will be able to squeeze about the same (or more) out of the Surface Pro 4 especially since "skylake was made for Windows 10."

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

You talking about the Pro 3 and 4? If you have a problem with the Pro 3, you will get a refurbished Pro 3 if they have them. That is one reason to prefer the store. I think the online group (which for some mysterious reason is a completely different company) has access to more refurbished older units that the brick and mortar stores. My store said the same thing when my M80TA for run over, but couldn't deliver so they rebated not only the price of the M80TA, but the price of the complete care as well, subtracting only the $50 deductible. The truth is that it is far more random than the MS Store supervisors would like. I got the rebated amounts credited to the S3 package I bought, which included a "clean" 2 year MS Complete warranty.

I doubt that we will see a Surface 4 until next Spring or Summer.

9. bloodycape

I have a S3 as you know and asked what happens with the S3 is no more and it's the S4. They said I will still get an S3 no matter what. Even said I had a pal to who had is Asus break and they store let him pay the difference to get the S3. He said that's the warranty for non MS devices. And that they even have Surface 1(pretty sure he said 1 and not Pro 1) in stock still for those who need that device replaced. So, far I am not seeing any really issues with my new S3, and in fact I find the keys to make a more satisfying noise when typing. Plus, no battery issues I was seeing with the previous one on Windows 10!

10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Yes. I would suspect that they will have S3s for as long as we are likely to have our devices.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.