Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

The WinRT Environments between Win 8.x and Win 10 are quite different as Windows 10 offers more options:

Win 10 WinRT 2.0
    Saved image from Tweetium.png

Win 8.x WinRT 1.0

WinRT 1.png

Attached Files:

HeavyHanded likes this.
  2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

So not neighbors... Although I grew up near there (sort of).

3. HeavyHanded

HeavyHanded Windows Tablet PC Zealot!

@jnjroach Thank you for the clarification. The underlying platforms are different, but so I can see why apps published for Win 8 work fine on Win 10. Do you think you can tell us how I can back up my apps for sideloading on Windows 8.1 or 10? I'm surprised how no one here seems to be fine with Microsoft or the developers ability to remove apps you've downloaded or sometimes have paid for.

Also, is there a "Find my Surface" feature that I don't know about?

4. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Every update in Windows store 10 app also updated in 8.1.
    Latest example.
    VLC.
    N7Player
    Drawboard pdf.
    Gom player.

Not care for office app since I have full license office home student 2013.
    Not care so much of universal app since I'm using iPad also.
    Neither Cortana is supported in my main language.
    Also Edge needs much more improvements and features(full screen missing now,no gesture swipe back/forward is deal breaker for now)

Some time I will upgrade to 10 but not earlier than summer 2016 before expired free upgrade 29/7/16.

I hope until then will see improvement,otherwise maybe staying further to 8.1.
    After all we get support until 2023 and I'm not willing to compromise,only if positive is more than negative.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

HeavyHanded likes this.
  5. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Nice to see you around mike!

6. revmike

revmike Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks, Ships.

7. ayle

ayle Pen Pal - Newbie

Who running Windows 10 at the moment. If yes, have you noticed abysmal level of 3d performance on it. Are you have to run 3D mark? It seems like the drivers I have are completely borked and the ones from Intel will not install ... Back the W8 for the time being.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

8. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My i3 pro 3 is running Win 10 and I really like it. I've also updated to the latest Intel driver via the usual of extracting the driver contents and updating etc. I'll fire up a few games tonight but as I'm on the i3 I don't expect that much from it.

P.s I'm not actually Missing Windows 8.1. Maybe I used it differently than the people that don't appreciate Win 10 (Then again I'm not using Tablet mode at all).

9. kornchild2002

kornchild2002 Scribbler - Standard Member

For the first time since updating I'm not missing Windows 8.1. I've had two main issues with Windows 10 on my Surface 3: battery life and smooth operation. Sometimes Windows 10 would stutter when swiping in the notification panel, when swiping in to view open programs/apps, etc. It didn't make things unusable but it was enough to annoy me and it reminded me of my Galaxy Note Edge (which will be here for another week before it's replacement arrives) so that ticked me off even further.

Battery life seemed reduced as well. I would get about 5-6 hours of browsing via Edge whereas I could easily hit 8-10 hours when using IE under 8.1. 5% of my Surface's battery would be eaten up by copying a 3GB file to a thumb drive, that's with wi-fi turned off and brightness at 25%.

I took the plunge and re-installed Windows 8.1 erasing everything. I installed all necessary updates and then went straight into installing Windows 10. I had everything setup rather quickly this time around, manually put all my programs back on it (mainly Office, Chrome, iTunes, and a couple others), and now operation seems fine. I haven't had a chance to fully test the battery life but I was surfing the net for an hour last night using Edge and it used 11% of the battery, that was something that used to deplete the battery by a good 20%. Operation is visually smooth, just as smooth as it was with Windows 8.1 and things open just as quickly as they did under 8.1 (there was always a bit of a pause after upgrading to 10).

So, for the first time, I am really enjoying Windows 10. I liked it before but those two issues were bothering me, particularly the battery life. I took my Surface 3 into my local Microsoft Store so they could take a look at it. They said that Logitech Setpoint and OneDrive were consuming large amounts of resources upon startup and that they were the culprits for reducing my battery life even though I had those installed under 8.1 and didn't have any battery life issues. So I just fixed it myself. I still have those two programs installed and they are now fine. Windows 10 reports them as using large amounts of resources when booting but they don't seem to be affecting the battery that much.

I'm going to run a full test this weekend to see if I can get 8 hours of internet browsing and general app usage. This makes the future a bit brighter seeing that Windows 10 can in fact run smoothly without affecting the battery too much. Now I'm definitely looking forward to the Surface Pro 4.

Mesosphere likes this.
  10. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Doing a clean install of W10 did solved a couple bugs for me as well... getting all the Surface drivers was a bit of an annoyance though. I would have expected more of the Surface drivers to be included in windows by default. Even the Wifi adapter wouldn't work. Once I got the surface driver package on there via USB stick though, everything has been much smoother sailing since.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.