Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. li2le

li2le Pen Pal - Newbie

2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

If you control for the features missing from the Atom, the Cherry Trail does quite well. The Multicore score is impressive. But, yea, the I-Core Y is the better chip. That is generally how I read that original comparison.

Still, the Cherry Trail looks promising. I like that MS put the most powerful Atom it could get in the S3. I'm looking forward to getting it.

BTW, has anyone been able to order a S3 with W 8.1 Pro? Another thing I noticed was that the S3 had Drawboard and a bunch of other Metro apps on it. Seems like a bunch of stuff to erase.

Anybody see this?

[​IMG]

Is this how we're supposto store our pens? Won't it scratch the display? Is that magnetic there?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<... Is that magnetic there?..>>

...No; the pen simply clips onto the segmented area of the Type Cover where it flexes. There is a shallow groove or depression there that sort of "cradles" the length of the pen.

<<... Won't it scratch the display?..>>

...Yeah, it could. Why do you think you spent the money for that fancy anti-glare screen protector?

<<...Is this how we're supposto store our pens?..>>

...I think this is Microsoft's suggestion. But frankly, I prefer the pocket of my shirt...

Mesosphere likes this.
  5. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Is it i really using the most powerful Atom option? I thought that would be the Celeron and Pentium labeled Cherry Trail Atoms(unless the Cherry Trail models don't offer connected standby either).

6. drvenom

drvenom Scribbler - Standard Member

I want the 128gb with 4GB, but by the time you add the pen and keyboard it is too expensive.

7. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The S3 screen has 17% more screen area than the ThinkPad 10.

8. manhattan

manhattan Scribbler - Standard Member

I expect the Core M to out perform the Cherry Trail -just not by too much; not particularly noticeable for my intended usage.
    What I do expect, in return for the performance sacrifice, aside from the lower cost, is battery life.

However, I do worry, a little.
    The battery life claim by MS is only 10hrs.
    In contrast the SP3 is stated as a 9hrs battery life.
    That's just one hour difference.
    The SP9 doesn't really do 9hrs.
    From what I've read, the SP9 real-life battery life averages about 5.5 hrs.

Based on that, I guess the Surface 3 will actually yield 6.5, maybe 7 hrs of real world use between charges.
    If that's true, I am not entirely convinced that a Core M, would fair very much worse.

Perhaps the surface 4 will be using either this or the next iteration of Core M; whilst the SP4 will style the next-gen Core i.
    (My point here being that I doubt SP4 will be Core M; and it will likely be a while before Surface 4 or an SP with a processor to rival the Cherry Trail's battery life is released by MS;
    thus the Surface 3 with its x7 z8700 is the best all around compromise, for those of us willing to sacrifice a little performance in exchange for battery -for at least another year).

9. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

the S3 is ~23% larger.

10. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

"Real life" is very much relative. My real life on my 4300U varies from about 3 to 9 hours depending on what I'm doing (system load), and where I'm doing it (screen brightness).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.