Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

1. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Have you switched on the batterysaver?
    Beacuse then you don't get automatic updates which can eat up your batterie.

@bloodycape :
    Chrome used an undokumented API that is gone, so blame google ( before complaining, google does that all the time with their API ).

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Why is connected standby such a 500 pound gorilla for Microsoft? Frankly, I feel lucky because my SPro 3 seems to be about the same under Windows 10 as Windows 8.1, but my backup Asus VivoTab Note eats through battery fast enough to visually watch the gauge drain (exaggeration alert - but it does lose 30% +/- overnight).

I know Microsoft has the disadvantage of building an OS for so many different hardware platforms, BUT that's what Surface is supposed to be all about - and there is NO REASON that Surface and Surface Pro shouldn't be as efficient as the MacBook Air and the iPad - when the Apple devices "sleep" they barely dribble battery life. In fact, my old iPad might not lose 1-2% over a couple of days, and my daughter's Air never goes double digits over 24 hours of sleep.

3. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I'm seeing reports that the updated driver for the Micros-SD Card Reader is causing the high battery drain in Connected Standby if there is a card in the slot. Some have reported rolling back the driver fixes the issue, others are saying removing the card fixes it.

Use the feedback form in Windows 10 if you are seeing this as it will be escalated to the Surface Team.

Bronsky and Kumabjorn like this.
  4. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I believe in couple of months that kind of issue will be solved.
    Don't forget Apple when relishing new IOS version you have to wait 3-4 months until everything works excellent.
    The same think happens to iOS 7/8 and probably with 9 couple of weeks later when released.
    You are taking for completely new OS of Windows not just same tweaks and few fautures that Apple add to the iOS.

Right now I'm using iOS 9 beta 3 that seems more stable and les baggy than 8.4./8.4.1 when upgrading from 8.1.2 witch I believe is the most stable and smooth version of iOS 8.

And until reaching 8.1.2 had to wait 3-4 months with earlier baggy version.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Thanks. I actually have an unused SD card in the slot. I'll try taking it out. Wonder how long before I can put it back?:rolleyes:

6. Nextgendev

Nextgendev Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi to everybody i'm waiting my surface 3 to arrive within tomorrow i hope. I've bought an ex demo unit on ebay.it with the keyboard and the pen for 450 euros shipped with 2 years warranty (4GB/128GB model of course). Now i'm writing from my galaxy tab4. The unit has been updated to windows 10 by the shop owner. I hope to find drawboard pdf installed and also not to have the ink disappearing problem on one note. 450 euros is the half of what the entire kit costs new on the microsoft shop here in italy so i'm quite excited. The tab4 will become my parents tablet. I always use the chip.de site charts as a reference before buying any it device i don't understand why the surface 3 it's only at the 33rd position on their tablet chart; here is the link : http://www.chip.de/bestenlisten/Bestenliste-Tablets--index/detail/id/970/
    Tomorrow i hope to post something with my firts impressions.
    Sorry for my english and thank you for the great forum.
    Andrea

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
    alextrela182 and Bronsky like this.
  7. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Anyone having issues after the update over the weekend with Chrome not working? I uninstalled it and reinstalled it at least 3 times(even cleaned the registry) and still no go. Like the app opens up, but I get an aww snap error. It was fine Saturday, but work Sunday with Windows at 97% installed the new insider build and noticed Chrome stopped working?

FZ how can I get Chrome to working? Cause it was working before Windows installed the new build.

Not sure who's at fault, but build 10525 borked it.
    http://www.neowin.net/news/heres-a-workaround-for-chrome-crashes-in-windows-10-build-10525

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  8. ayle

ayle Pen Pal - Newbie

Experiencing more graphics driver crashes... Who supports the LTE version? The carrier or MS?

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

S3 went to sleep last night at 75% battery. Wake from hibernation at 66%. No SD card and battery saver on. Still seems too high. Fix this please Microsoft. You can stop working on building Dale's SP4 and fix my W10 battery life issue. He won't mind.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  10. PrznMovieFan

PrznMovieFan Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone know if it's easy to rollback the changes? Looks like a great app but always leary on making changes I the registry unless I know what they are/if they can get rolled back easily