Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

Now that I've spent a few days on Win10 on Surface 3, I agree with this post... battery life has been iffy, it seems to drain more in standby, edge browser is fine as a desktop browser, but mobile it is not. another peeve with windows 10 on this device is that after resuming, the device locks for about 1 minute and only the mouse can move. Also entering the pin to login option seems to want to fight with me every single time... it will flicker, or not register my keypresses, or randomly highlight the numbers entered so when I press the next key it overwrites the previous one. Probably my absolute biggest peeve is sitting in bed at night trying to change the brightness to 0%... tell me that that one is easier in win10 than 8.1......

Just like windows 8 was too tablety for desktop users, Windows 10 is to desktopy for tablet users.....
    I'm going to jump ship on Win10 until better tablet / surface support hits in the next few update cycles.

For the record though, I absolutely love Win10 on my desktop.

gcoupe and soh5 like this.
  2. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

I went back to W8.1, I will wait for a few more update cycles for the bugs to be ironed out. Onenote note behaving properly was annoying and I am perfectly happy with it on W8

Kumabjorn likes this.
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Seems to be a Scandinavian trait (brains, brawn, and beauty in a small package)...

Kumabjorn likes this.
  4. soh5

Most of IKEAs stuff might look OK, but their build quality though...

5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Yeah, hate it when it behaves properly.

Allow me to be slightly nationalistic for a minute since we have lived with IKEA for six decades. True, there was a time when a lot of their products where made in communist Poland, but the last two decades product quality, including assembly, has improved vastly. Granted, we have longer experience in fitting the different parts, so it might be easier for us, but you'll get the hang of it.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

dstrauss likes this.
  6. soh5

Le sigh: Meant Improperly :(

7. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Both portrait and landscape mode in android/ios the scrolling is always horizontal,not vertical
    Much more practical when you are handling the tablet and much more natural movement of your finger across the touch screen.
    One of the biggest downgrade over 8.1 is that.

As for edge is much more mouse friendly and not touch.
    Missing gestures that Safari or Chrome(ios)or Dolphin have(android)
    Also there is no full screen mode.
    The taskbar in tablet mode there no point of that.
    As for the typing experience is the same worst as in 8.1.
    Not even switching language fix that awful way.

Sent from my iPad Air 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
    efjay likes this.
  8. kornchild2002

kornchild2002 Scribbler - Standard Member

I discovered another issue and it might be related to this. My battery life has taken a hit but it isn't bad when browsing the internet or when using programs. It just isn't as long as it was under Windows 8.1. Microsoft has said that they are aware of these issues and are actively working on them but it's anybody's guess as to when they will release updates to fix this.

However, my issue starts after coming out of sleep/hibernation. I can't access notifications or anything else that you can select in the task bar. I can open programs but I can't right-click on them, I also can't access anything that's next to the time like wi-fi settings, the battery status, etc. I can click on the battery status 5 times and nothing will happen. Then, all of the sudden, Windows will quickly show and close the battery status about 5 times. The odd thing is that the last time it shows the status it will be full screen and in the upper left corner instead of staying in the bottom right. Same with notifications or wi-fi settings.

It all goes back to normal operation about 15-30 seconds after waking but it is annoying. I'm wondering if a clean install will fix this (I upgraded) or if it's just something that needs to be patched.

That's a personal preference. I have always been more productive with vertical scrolling over horizontal. There has been plenty of vertical scrolling in desktop operating systems over the years that I am more attuned to that than horizontal scrolling.

9. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I have the same problem, most likely a firmware upgrade is needed.

Balbutio ergo sum

10. ayle

ayle Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a 2GB/64GB model and I've been experiencing sound stuttering or outright heavy lag while installing light games or playing them(Rogue Legacy and Geometry Wars) is that expected behavior because of the Atom and eMMC? Or is something wrong with my specific tablet? I'm currently on W10 and I also experience random lock ups only solved by turning the screen off and back on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.