Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm still very concerned about the state of tablet support in Win10. I bought a SP2 on launch day. I got some experience with Win8 and a lot more with Win81. I saw all of the negativity to Win8x, and I always felt those folks "didn't get it" because they didn't have a touch enabled tablet device. Now I'm feeling the pendulum has swung too far the other way.

Having said that. A couple of questions for those of you who have made the switch...

Now that the Charms bar has gone away, how do you connect to a projector/wireless display adapter? Today it is Charms Bar | Devices | Project. All very simple.

I am just now starting to enjoy the Reading List application. Does this program stay in Win10? Or is it incorporated into Edge?

2. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Do what I do and just send it stuff to MS via the feedback app? I'm thinking the more stuff being liked and/or mentioned to them, the more they may look at it?>

3. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, I've got Win10 on my SP3. No issues that I'm aware of as far a something not working as intended. I'm still muddling around with it trying to find how to do what I did with 8.1. I've no doubt we'll all get used to it, but I, like others have said, feel that some of the better items of 8.1 ought to be migrated over to 10.

I generally use my SP3 with the type cover whether it's in the Dock or somewhere else. However, I did use some MUI apps in 8.1 and swiping here and there was normal for me too. Since they've Windowed the MUI apps, it would be useful to still be able to swipe them as we did under 8.1. I definitely miss snapping a MUI app in 1/3 of the screen with a desktop program in the other 2/3's of the screen. I used this regularly under 8.1. It's simply not the same or as good in 10.

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

S3 survived its first drop. Found it on the floor after it fell from the table where it was plugged in charging. Fell about 3'. No damage at all. This tablet feels so fragile, I am surprised that it survived that fall. What good is accidental coverage if you don't use it?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
    alextrela182, soh5, Kumabjorn and 2 others like this.
  5. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

It's no good, which is why I don't buy it. Although once I start running over my tablets with a car I may regret it =P

bloodycape, Bronsky and jvloyola like this.
  6. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

I wonder what type of glass the screen is tempered with. I dropped my iPhone 5 two feet. Fell face first and the entire front was shattered. Looked like someone took a hammer to the screen.

Impressive the S3 didn't have shattered glass.

Bronsky likes this.
  7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...S3 survived its first drop...Fell about 3'...I am surprised that it survived that fall...>>

...This is starting to become more than a little suspicious. Some new or updated gadget appears on the horizon, and suddenly Bronsky's existing gadget seems to suffer a little "accident."

The whole thing suggests that a new phrase could be added to the language to describe such "accidents," an example being: I didn't have a reason to buy that new tablet until my old tablet 'took a ride with Bronsky'..."

gcoupe, Mesosphere and Bronsky like this.
  8. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

I dstrauss'd my tablet.

I Bronsky'd my tablet.

All with a Meso sense of style. (Massive cargo's)

dceggert, bloodycape and Mesosphere like this.
  9. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Don't forget JoeSplash'd.

Although come to think of it, MesoWash'd my surface pen... because I forgot it in my massive cargos....

(But without the benefit of eBay heaven or MS complete)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
    soh5 and JoeS like this.
  10. kornchild2002

kornchild2002 Scribbler - Standard Member

I miss using gestures to navigate. I was always swiping back to go back and swiping forward to go forward. Now I have to use the buttons at the top of Edge for navigation. It's not bad but it reminds me of my iPad days when I used all sorts of gestures except for the back and forward buttons because Safari didn't support swiping back or forward.

Edge has crashed on me a few times but no more so than the Metro version of IE. It doesn't seem to be as battery friendly though. I can drain my Surface 3's battery in about 7-8 hours when browsing over wi-fi compared to the 9-10 hours I would get with Metro IE. It's still not as bad as Chrome (which gets me 4-5 hours) but it has been reduced. Then again, Windows 10 drains my Surface 3's battery a bit faster as I'm not, overall, getting 7-8 hours of operation instead of 9-10 (though I haven't tried movie playback).

1. You still swipe in from the right as if you are using the Charms bar, it has just now become something with more options and notifications. It's still easy to connect to a wireless display, a wired display, or even broadcast video to an Xbox One. You just swipe in from the right and hit the Connect option. Then Windows will automatically scan for compatible devices and you're good to go. I think it's even easier than using the Charms bar and you have access to far more content and settings.

2. I'm not sure, I never used that app before with Windows 8.1 so I wouldn't even know what to look for.

alextrela182 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.