Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The charger in the dock charges through the USB 3.0 port. At least, that's the only thing that makes sense. As far as charging speed, the dock has a 48w charger built in. I think the mUSB charger is only 36w. While I haven't really clocked it, the dock seems to charge the S3 faster than the mUSB portable charger.

The USB 3.0 port can clearly charge and transmit data at the same time, since the 3 USB 3.0 ports in the dock are active all the time, even when the S3 is charging through the USB 3.0 port. Raises some interesting issues about the ability to get an OTG cable that could permit charging and data transfer through the USB port alone. But, if you have the dock and the mUSB portable charger, why bother?

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

That's a good point and observation - surely you could use an OTG cable to charge and connect a USB peripheral at the same time, otherwise, how could the dock charge and furnish USB support.

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I've read a lot about the charging on the surface 3 being slow... is it faster with the dock?...>>
    <<... While I haven't really clocked it, the dock seems to charge the S3 faster than the mUSB portable charger...>>

...Other users, including me, have reported that if the charging source has more current capability (than standard USB), then the Surface 3 will charge faster. In my case, I have an external battery that will output 5 V at up to 4 A (rather than 1.0 or 2.1 A as is typical of many USB chargers). The battery recharges my S3 very rapidly.

See Post #1188 in this discussion thread for more details. At 4 A, the battery recharged my S3 in 3 hours.

4. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

One of the nice things about a proprietary charger is you don't have to worry about third party connectors, current supply or quality having a negative effect on your device.

It is great to see the experimentation on the board. However, isn't anyone concerned about what consistent application of high current charges will do to the life of the battery?

5. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I don't think that is a big worry. The S3 isn't really drawing all 4A the charger is capable of delivering. If it was, it would fully charge in a little over 1 hour rather than 3 hours. It would be a little slower due to charging inefficiencies. For example, the stock charger delivers currents as high as 2.6 (that I've measured) which is 13W, but the battery capacity only rises at about 9-10W, so only about ~70% of the energy is deposited in the battery (the rest probably waste heat). But even at 70%, 4A (20W) would charge it from 5% to 90% in ~1:40. After ~90% the battery charges much slower.

The problems with very slow charges come from the fact that the system is capable of using over 10W under heavy load, so the charger can't keep up. Also, sometimes the S3 just gets stuck in "plugged in not charging" mode for some reason. Although I haven't noticed this happening in awhile. It may have been fixed with a patch.

6. Azule

Azule Pen Pal - Newbie

Ö
    Hey Boosh, sorry to take so long to get back to you. Was a crazy weekend (and not in a good way). I eventually sold my Galaxy Note. I was having a hard time with battery life.
    Repurchased the S3 and haven't looked back. PM me if you have any questions.

Bronsky likes this.
  7. HeavyHanded

HeavyHanded Windows Tablet PC Zealot!

southdunes, Mesosphere and soh5 like this.
  8. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Thanks I just bought the E5 (16Ah) version... then I cancelled it and got the E3 (10Ah) version =)

The E5 had enough (given the reviewers ~70% efficiency measurement) to fully charge my S3 and GN4, but I have an extra swappable battery for the GN4 already, and the thinner (0.6 vs 0.9 inch) and lighter (0.5 vs 0.7 lb.) form factor of the E3 which should be enough for a 90ish % charge on my S3 seemed better. At 0.9 inches the E5 would have been quite a bulge in my sleeve. Both claim 3A. As a bonus, I saved 15 bucks. The E3 was $21 vs $36 for the E5. Good deal either way though.

I get 7-8 hours on a charge, so even on the most grueling travel day, I should be able to get through ~14 hours of continuous use without an outlet now, so a whole day easily ... unless I'm playing Civ 5 outside at max brightness or something =P

southdunes likes this.
  9. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just picked up a S3 4/128 today. Been strictly a Wacom user before, so with quick experimentation, not too sure yet how I feel about the ntrig. How many of you are using a matte SP with your S3? I searched matte in this thread but it only pulled up a few posts, and it seems like not a lot of you are using one.

First impressions otherwise: build quality is fantastic, really nice device. I have an i7 wacom based Toshiba Portege Z10 that I use for note taking at university, and I'm sick of active cooling in a classroom setting. The fan is always ramping up and it gets annoying. As a secondary device, I think this x7 Atom will be more than sufficient.

10. kornchild2002

kornchild2002 Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't have a matte screen protector on my S3, I did on my SP2 and I was OK with it but not now. My mainly complaint with the matte screen protector on my SP2 was that it easily showed markings from the pen. It hid fingerprints and other smudges very well but not markings from the tip of the pen. I was constantly having to wipe it down with a wet microfiber cloth to get rid of them or else it looked like I attacked my display.

I went with the tempered glass screen protector for my S3. It's just as glossy as the naked display but, honestly, I've had to wipe mine down twice now since owning it (I picked mine up on launch day). So far that's less than with my matte protector on my SP2. I don't really have issues with fingerprints or smudges either and I mainly use my S3 as a tablet and note taking device. The lack of hearing a fan whirl up when using One Note is nice. My SP2 would do it occasionally and I'm pretty sure I was the only one in a meeting that could hear it but it bothered me.

The Atom x7 SoC is a trooper. So far it has been able to handle everything I throw at it with relative ease. The only place where I've noticed a large amount of slowdown, compared to my SP2, is when encoding video. I use Handbrake and encode 1080p videos down to about 2.5Mbps, mpeg-4 AVC 1080p videos. The source videos often have lossless surround sound that I compress to stereo AAC and then pass the lossy surround sound core off as well. It's a complex process that would take my SP2 about an hour to handle a 90 minute movie. It takes my S3 about 4 hours to do the same. I'm only encoding one movie every few days so it hasn't been an issue but it is definitely noticeable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.