Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I actually ran my S3's battery down to >5% today while it was in the Dock! I had the display on 100% and was using the hell out of the tablet as a desktop computer. I never noticed the battery discharging until both screens went blank. I hope MS recognizes that it has a problem with the charging system and works a fix. You should never be able to discharge your tablet while it is in the charging dock. I lowered the display power to half and the S3 has been charging ever since. It's up to 36% ATM.

2. cliffr39

cliffr39 Pen Pal - Newbie

Completely agree. While I loved the Surface 3, I returned it for the charging issue #1. Hoping they release a revised Surface 3 version 2 or something with that charging fixed. May pick it up again.

3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Ouch. I guess the dock probably isn't providing more power then?

I think there may be some bug in the S3 charging circuitry that likes to drop the charging current randomly. It will charge at a normal rate and suddenly drop to like a trickle charge. Temporarily unplugging it seems to bring back the full charge rate ... temporarily. Hopefully this is something they can fix in firmware.

Pushing the S3 to it's limits, the max drain I could obtain is ~11 W, and it charges at about ~9W from the charger. This doesn't include power loss to charging inefficiencies (more power than this exits the USB charger). Still, that is only a 2W difference, so it would take ~14 hours to discharge. Even if we call it 3W it would last ~9 hours (using the S3 to its max, which is hard to do). I suspect that these discharges are due to the S3 negotiating down to a lower current.

4. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

As much as a universal micro USB is nice, I think it would have made sense to just throw in a proprietary charging system that charges efficiently...

That is unacceptable that it discharges on the dock. That is concerning...

Kumabjorn and bloodycape like this.
  5. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Except the dock doesn't charge it via mUSB, so I think they effectively are using a proprietary solution through some hack of the USB3 port (or perhaps the display port?).

(but I agree with your point, I'd prefer the faster charge to the universal aspect I think).

Edit: Perhaps better yet... they could have went with mUSB3 which can charge faster using a mUSB3 cable, but it is still backwards compatible with mUSB2 chargers.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
    bloodycape likes this.
  6. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Do you know what the power draw is from the Dock is rated at?

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

What ever it is, it is a real issue. Here's what tipped me off that it was a charging issue. At first I thought the tablet had shut down due to the heat. I was surprised at how warm the unit got in the dock, driving the 21" display. I expected to see the thermometer icon but got the depleted battery.

Here's what came up when I tried to restart it. I let it charge up a bit and once it started, I was able to get it charging positively by lowering the display brightness by 50%.

[​IMG]

I hope MS will figure this out before too long. My new set up is great other than the charging issue. I know I'm pushing that X7 quite hard but the Atom really has some heart. It likes to be pushed.

@casty - the S3 pen looks great in journal. I never use Journal. I always use OneNote for any kind of note-taking.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  8. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If your tablet was hot, probably the battery was too. And often batteries have circuitry to prevent charging and discharging when hot.

Bronsky likes this.
  9. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If they do that(surface 3 second edition) then they must provide replacement unit to all customers bought the current version.
    Btw for me it's not big deal that takes more time of charging since I don't push to the limit of the device(most of time while charging I'm not using the device or doing light activate like browsing)
    Most of time the brightness level is 25-30% and is very good level I think, don't forget that S3 has much brightest screen than SP3.

With that it takes 4 hours to be changed from 20% battery level.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Wow - what a deal killer if you can't prevent discharge when in the dock. Does it exhibit the same behavior when just plugged into its charger (discharging while using external monitor)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.