Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I guess it is a matter of prospective. App selection is the main reason I'm a Windows tablet user... of course pretty much none of those apps that draw me too it (OneNote, MS Office, Nomachine NX, IDL, Mouse Without Borders, AutoHotkey, RadialMenu, etc.) are Modern UI apps, which I'm sure is what you were referring to, aside from the in-built MUI IE.

Of course there are MUI apps that I do use and like, but, rarely do I prefer them over their android counterparts (with the exception of MUI IE)... good thing I don't want to use my tablet like a supersized smartphone =P

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I have never understood the lack of apps argument either. I agree that the whole idea of the Windows 8 tablet is the availability of the most plentiful and well developed apps on the market ... Windows applications. Here's my current task bar:

[​IMG]

This is basically everything I need to run my business and do just about anything else I need to do. I have added Drawboard, Dropbox and a couple of other metro apps but not that many. I'm beginning to be convinced that the S3 can replace my notebook and do away with the need for a companion device. I have a dock, kb, mouse and display coming this week, so I'll let you know.

On another topic, I have run into some issues watching video. I've had my integrated graphics reset a couple of times but I've been binge watching the Seinfeld comedians in cars series (I think I've gotten through all of the seasons in a day and a night), so a couple of events is not that bad, but it shows some immaturity in the X7 drivers ATM.

Also spent quite a bit of time reconfiguring outlook to work with Verizon since they are now blocking the Pop 3 outlet port and forcing users to move to the SMTP port, but that has nothing to do with the S3.

3. milkytoast

milkytoast Pen Pal - Newbie

I really enjoy the type cover. More than an actual laptop keyboard. is it a usb interface?

4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

@Bronsky
    Do you no longer feel the need for an Asus Vivo Tab Note style device?

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

5. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I'm still using the dropbox desktop app, just like it better. While some apps, like Spotify don't have a metro variant, and only a metro variant(which in some ways lacks vs the Linux variant, which is in beta stage). If this was an RT device I would agree, but the S3 is a full blown Windows 8 device.

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

If I could have a 4:3 or 3:2 FHD 8" 128/4GB X7-Z8700 tablet with Supcase and keyboard like the 8" Mix 2 has, and siloed Wacom EMR pen, I would jump on it in a minute. The Surface is larger than I would like but all things being equal it is the best option ATM. I don't think I'll get an 8" tablet due to the manufacturer's lack of interest in a high quality 8" tablet.

I am seriously considering a Note 4 however. :vbwink:

Mesosphere and Kumabjorn like this.
  7. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I think I'm off the 8" bandwagon ... except as my backup tablet when I need to use my S3 as a laptop.

I am thoroughly shocked at how well the S3 has functioned in my lap. Of course the extra kick stand positions help, but I think also the sub 1.37 lb. slate and a better slate to keyboard weight ratio help. I'm really happy with it in my recliner. It is really pretty comfortable. I think my cargo pant pockets help with the sharp kick stand digging into my legs. They should really blunt that thing somehow.

8. lafester

lafester Scribbler - Standard Member

You might not care but I do... Does that make my opinion worthless? Please don't define what a windows 8 tablet should be for me.

9. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

8"is too small.
    The perfect size is like nexus 9 8.9" in 3:2 aspect.
    But as you said,OEM doesn't interesting for such premium device probably because they are offering high quality device at bigger size where most people want most of all, second they dont want to cannibalize those sales of larger device and third perhaps larger device make more profit than the small one.

One small possibility is if MS deliver such device in the near future it would be welcome and maybe then OEM follow.

But again as I said 8.9" would be more prefect size not 8"

10. epicfoxes

epicfoxes Pen Pal - Newbie

I have no clue to be honest. I am usually very picky about keyboards yet this one seems to have grown on me.

Bronsky likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.