Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The tablet is 16:10 I think. I'm still hoping for a 4:3, FHD, 8", Core M, Wacom siloed pen (which we will probably never see again in our lifetimes), although I have to admit that I am liking the N-Trig pen on the S3, 12 hour battery, dedicated clamshell dock and thin keyboard cover. While we're wishing. I won't be holding my breath.

But, I am a very happy camper with my S3. Microsoft has outdone itself.

Edit: BTW, I am looking for an antiglare glass SP. Can't find one ATM, but I'm sure somebody will be making one sooner or later. Hopefully, they get them in the MS Store.

Another thing. Tether-X seems not to work with the Surface 3. It does caution that some wireless cards are not compatible. If you have WP8.1, forget about tethering the S3 with Tether-X. Anybody been able to use it with the SP3? I can give up my unlimited account and go to a family plan, adding tethering for only $10/month. I won't pay the $30 that Verizon wants to extort from us unlimited users. I just hate the idea that Verizon has won. I have been bound and determined to keep my unlimited account no matter what, since Verizon discontinued them.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Should be based on res.

Bronsky likes this.
  3. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It''s the same design as the 1st gen ThinkPad 10, with the two rounded and two square edges. It''s a form factor that seems to irritate some people, but personally I don't notice it at all. The TP10 also has a 16:10 ratio, not 16:9. So it's better than 16:9, but I agree that 3:2 is better. It's Wacom tech (and might be the latest AES in this 2nd gen).

One area where the TP10 scores over the S3 (for me) is that GPS is built-in for all models; not just those with LTE mobile.

4. kornchild2002

kornchild2002 Scribbler - Standard Member

Not to go too far off-topic but I hung onto my unlimited data plan for as long as I could until I realized that I was only using 2-4GB a month and that a family plan from them, with the appropriate amount of data, was actually less than what I was paying. I conceded a while back (3 years ago) and haven't had issues. In fact they recently upped my data to 10GB a month for two lines, tethering, and Verizon Edge on one of the lines (mine) for the same price I was paying

That's good about the pen but I agree, there isn't anything here that makes me regret going with a Surface 3. The amount of accessories for the Lenovo is nice but the cost would absolutely skyrocket by the time you purchased a model with the Atom x7, keyboard folio, and pen. The base model already starts out $50 higher than the Surface 3.

I think it mainly forces people to use the tablet in landscape mode instead of portrait and I prefer portrait for web browsing. Granted, this tablet can be used multiple ways but the orientation of the curved edges would make it seem off-balanced to me. It's more like they took a notebook screen, detached it, and called it a tablet instead of actually designing a tablet.

Bronsky likes this.
  5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...It''s a form factor that seems to irritate some people...It's more like they took a notebook screen, detached it, and called it a tablet instead of actually designing a tablet...>>

...That's how I feel about it, too. For whatever reason, the "two round corners / two squared-off corners" approach offends my sense of design. Although I liked a lot about the technical design of Helix, I ultimately had the same issue with its tablet section.

Somewhat irrational, I know, but there's no accounting for taste!

soh5 and Bronsky like this.
  6. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

MS should have provide at minimum 30-32Wh battery capability as Lenovo with ThinkPad 10 and Asus with T100CHI.
    From 42.4Wh of SP3 to just 28.4 to S3 is huge different and is no excuse at all for such a small size differences between two models(12"/10.8")

I'm ok with the battery life having 1 hour + than i5 SP3 but if we had the battery capability of ThinkPad it would be more satisfying for extra 1-1.5 hours more battery life.

After all we pay premium price and MS should provide the best of the best effort.

bloodycape likes this.
  7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Been binge watching Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee. This device is amazing for watching video.

epicfoxes and bloodycape like this.
  8. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I was planning to watch the new season so good to know it pairs well with the S3. Then again I have a HTPC so I can be watching that while distracted with my S3 on TPCR.

Mesosphere likes this.
  9. epicfoxes

epicfoxes Pen Pal - Newbie

is it strange that I enjoy typing on the type cover? I find the feedback just right when typing.

Bronsky and Mesosphere like this.
  10. lafester

lafester Scribbler - Standard Member

The s3 is really pretty amazing. Only thing missing is a good app selection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.