Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kornchild2002

kornchild2002 Scribbler - Standard Member

I've used my Surface 3 outside a lot lately. I have a nice, covered, patio with a view of my city's skyline. There have been a couple of instances when direct sunlight hit my Surface but it seemed fine, that's normally when I would move inside anyway. There's about a 2 hour window where sitting on my patio is uncomfortable because it's lit up like the Beacon of Gondor from the Sun setting.

However, the temps outside have been around the low to mid 70's the past few weeks so I haven't had a chance to test it with our normal summer conditions (95 degrees with 95% humidity).

Mesosphere likes this.
  2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

It was close to 90° (32C) on my deck in direct sunlight. I can't afford a roof like you guys.:vbrolleyes:

Ran Crystal Disk Mark on my X301 today. It has a 1.8" 7 year old Samsung, 128 GB SSD in it. Here are the scores:

[​IMG]

And here's the S3's eMMC again:

[​IMG]

Looks like the eMMC outperforms the Samsung SSD in sequential reading and the SSD writes significantly faster. Since I've been okay with the performance of the SSD in the X301 for the past 3 years, I guess I can't complain about the S3.

Mesosphere likes this.
  3. cliffr39

cliffr39 Pen Pal - Newbie

Not sure if it's impressive that it is keeping up with an SSD or depressing that it's keeping up with 7-year old technology haha

4. milkytoast

milkytoast Pen Pal - Newbie

I think it was still transferring, or something was telling it continuously transfer. Now it isn't draining that much. both chrome and dropbox are just sipping the battery.

I played around some more with my UNIFUN charger with a hand me down cable and the UNIFUN did not want to charge for long. Previously I have charged all day with the built in microUSB and the Surface Charger.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  5. Bronsky

6. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

7. kornchild2002

kornchild2002 Scribbler - Standard Member

I saw that on The Verge. I'm not a fan of the design, it still seems like an early prototype with the rounded top edges and the squared off bottom ones. Plus, after using my Surface 3 with a 3:2 aspect ratio, I much prefer that to 16:9. Did they announce what tech is behind the pen? It looks like it might be Wacom but they could using the vastly inferior Synaptics option (which has come a long way but still not a Wacom or N-Trig competitor).

Bronsky likes this.
  8. Bronsky

Yep. Nothing here to make me second guess my S3 purchase. 3:2 aspect ratio, kickstand and keyboard cover make the Surface line unique. With its accessories, the TP10 looks more expensive than the S3. Plus, we will have had the X7 atom for 4 or 5 months before the TP10 gets it as an optional upgrade.

The pen will be Wacom. Lenovo has at least done that right. It's committed to Wacom pens for its tablets

9. milkytoast

milkytoast Pen Pal - Newbie

and they added an extra 4Wh to the battery and kept the run time at 10 hours. If they had a good keyboard instead of the one angle of the previous generation, that might be pretty nice. Also a fatter pen would be nice.

10. cliffr39

cliffr39 Pen Pal - Newbie

Since we're wishing: and a Core M so it supports SSD and drop the 16:9 for a 3:2 ;)

Bronsky likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.