Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I've been thinking about how to adjust to my S3 replacing my laptop. The biggest issue is screen real-estate on the go. Does anyone have any experience with portable monitors? What are your thoughts? Specifically, I'm looking at this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/MB168B-15-6-I...d=1432565411&sr=1-1&keywords=portable+monitor

I assume I'll need to power it separately with the S3. How is display link performance? Does anyone know the impact of that on the tablets battery? I expect the software driver is less efficient than the GPU at pushing pixels.

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Of course, you have to massage the back of the display to make it work ...

The 10.6" display is fine for me when I'm out of the office. I can even work split screen. In the office,
    I'm looking at a 19" or 20" desktop to use with a universal 3.0 dock and Lenovo slim keyboard. Was wondering if a docked USB 3.0 SSD would make large document work easier while in the office? Does the CPU still need to support an SSD when they are used through a USB 3.0 dock as an external drive?

BTW, Samsung is using the X5 Atom in its new Chopin-LTE tablet running Android. http://www.fudzilla.com/news/mobile/37842-samsung-plays-chopin

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Does anyone know the impact of that on the tablets battery?..>>

...No experience, but just a couple of thoughts:

<> Specs say that power consumption is "<5W." Duh. As I think you're suggesting, the real issue may be how hard this drives the processor. In addition to the power consumption there, is it possible that it might induce thermal shutdowns (along the lines of Bronsky's recent report of sunlight-induced problems)?

<> Specs also mention max brightness of only 250 nits. In today's world, that's not overly bright. When viewing two screens, side-by-side, it's good to have similar brightness. You can always turn the S3 brightness down (to match), so perhaps that's the best approach. But it seems like something of a limitation...

Good luck, though...

Mesosphere likes this.
  4. cliffr39

cliffr39 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a smaller SSD in an external case on the USB 3.0 port and it had decent speeds, but only slightly faster than the eMMC. Not sure if that's a limit of the cheaper case I bought or something else.

5. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I'm pretty sure that would work fine. It is the SATA/PCIe interface that is lacking, not SSD support specifically. It will probably depend on the use case how useful it is. Primarily I think of SSDs being more beneficial for the OS/Software installs more so than document work, but ... the devil may be in the details =P

The use case I'm thinking of is not for work on the go about town. The S3 screen is fine for that and the larger screen wouldn't be worth lugging around. The total package 15.6" screen, S3, type cover is only 3.7 lbs, so it is pretty light, but having multiple pieces and wires to plug in makes it a bit of an anchor I imagine. I'm thinking more of replacing my mobile office while I'm traveling (hotel room, sitting in all-day meetings). I often need to do the same type of work in these situations that I do in my office. I'm a bit spoiled in my office with ~1030 in^2 of screen, it is hard to adjust to only ~54 in^2 on the S3 to do the same work. The mobile screen sits closer to me, so the high PPI helps, but ...

Yea the brightness is a downside in bright environments, but the laptop I'm attempting to replace is only ~200 nits so it should be at least as good as that. It probably wont work out doors very well, but neither does my T904.

Apparently the SP1 usb port can power it but the SP2 and SP3 cannot. I expect the S3 cannot either, so I'm going to need to power it with a mobile battery and/or a powered USB hub.

6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I have that monitor and it works just fine as long as you don't upgrade to Windows 10 (for the moment at least) and you carry an extra Y-cable and power source. Brightness is fine, being thin and light it is easy to carry around, but it helps if you have a big bag, so you better get in touch with your feminine side.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

Mesosphere likes this.
  7. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

Do you surmise from this that the magnesium case of the S3 contributed to this? Obviously it would seem the metal case would conduct heat much better than plastic or other non-metal casing material.

8. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

I remember one time, not thinking, I placed my iPad, which was in a nice rubber-type case, on the dash of my car while I was out for a while. When I got back to the car, I grabbed the iPad and brought it out of sleep and I saw the big thermometer on the screen. It had gotten too hot lying in the sun. Once I had it off the car's dash and in the shade of the interior for a little while, it started right up with no issues. Yes, direct sun can affect tablets, perhaps some more than others.

9. jvloyola

jvloyola Scribbler - Standard Member

Bronsky how do tou get to that screen where you can see the core temps?

My S3 has shutdown twice today while playing Civ V

Tnx

Vinny

10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

No question about it. The metal body, particularly the magnesium, wicks the heat away from the display and transmits it to the components, which seem to absorb the heat rather quickly from the metal body. We're in the Northeast. Imagine how quickly the metal body would heat up in tropical sunlight. The Asus M80TA, with its plastic body held up far better in the sunlight.

It's called Hardware Monitor. It's a free program to sample temps and battery life. There are a number of programs to do this while running in the background. Evergreen comes to mind.

jvloyola likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.