Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

2. epicfoxes

epicfoxes Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone see the magnetic keyboard setup on the Sony Canvas Z? I wonder what the typing experience would be on that

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Anyone see the magnetic keyboard setup on the Sony Canvas Z? I wonder what the typing experience would be on that...>>

...If it ends up being like the Tap 11, then the experience will be OK, but nothing special. (IMO, the SP3 and S3 Type Covers are better.) However, Vaio seems to be very focused on good user experience, so perhaps the keyboard will be improved.

4. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Scribbler - Standard Member

5. cliffr39

cliffr39 Pen Pal - Newbie

6. jvloyola

jvloyola Scribbler - Standard Member

Ok three days into my S3 experience: my first gripe is that i really don't know how to "deal" with the pen. Coming from an encore write 2 I'm missing much more than i thougt the clever mechanism of clipping the pen into the tablet:

[​IMG]

Clipping the surface pen to the type cover adds bulk and when you open the cover backwards the pen gets in the way:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So i decided to get a pen loop for my S3 and this is what it looks like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At least for me I think this is a better solution than clipping the pen to the type cover since it's not in the way.

I also got the UNIFUN charger mentioned before ( Though oh well if it doesn't work for the S3 it will work for the rest of my stuff), and as advertised it didn't charge the S3... the first day i got it since i guess it was doing a lot of stuff: indexing installing office, installing my steam games, downloading my email, etc. BUT then i connected the charger that MS provides and that one did NOT charge the S3 either, so the leads me to believe that the S3 was being overtaxed and thus the "connected, not charging" status, the day after during regular use in my meetings at corp HQ the UNIFUN charger DID do its jib and charged the S3, so I think its more of a usage problem when the S3 is very taxed it would just not charge...

[​IMG]

The other accessory I got for my S3 is a 20000 mAh external power bank with high output USB ports. I'm happy to report that it also does charge the S3:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will be doing some more tests regarding charging the S3 with these two sources and report back, but i think this should give me at least 12 hours autonomy.

Vinny

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Okay. Suggestions on single plug docking solution (one plug in the S3 - the rest through the dock). I need a KB, Mouse and Ext. Monitor and some USB ports open on the dock. I could live with the mUSB charging cable being separate if there is an advantage to docking through the USB 3 port. My goal is to use the tablet as a note pad either flat or at its lowest stand setting, while plugged in. I don't think I can do that with the MS Dock.

Recommendations are appreciated.

8. cliffr39

cliffr39 Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been looking at a few, but haven't bought any yet. Plugable and Anker make one for under $100. They seem to be decent by reviews. Then if you search those specs on eBay you'll see a few other brands.
    Here are two brands I don't know buy name:
    Warpia SWP240: Dock n' Charge Universal Dual Monitor Docking Station
    Etekcity® VGA/DVI/HDMI USB 3.0 Super Speed Universal Dual Video Docking Station

9. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Do we know yet if the S3 allows data/charging at the same time through the mUSB port?

10. jvloyola

jvloyola Scribbler - Standard Member

mmm You could use an external usb dock , I am using a targus one for my mac, I just got home last night and haven´t tried it with my S3,

http://www.amazon.com/Targus-SuperS...F8&qid=1432227086&sr=8-1&keywords=targus+dock

This one is powered since I used to also charge the laptop, there is also another one that doesn have a charger included. BUT if you want to just use one cable (through the mUSB) on top of the external dock you will have to get a charge/data adaptor like the ones Toshiba and Dell are offering for their 8in tablets:

http://www.toshiba.com/us/detailpopup?seg=HHO&poid=2000134438&mainpoid=2000128633&allowcart=true

The docks there are a bunch of them in the marked, they all use the plugable displaylink standard.

I think that is what you are looking for right Brosnky?

Vinny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.