Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

We will see 7' and 8" ARM Based Tablets running Windows Mobile which is the merged platform of Windows RT and Windows Phone. The only reason there was a desktop on RT was the Office Team delayed the creation of the Windows Office Touch Suite, brought iPad to market first and Android second.

2. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Finally my order from ms store de has shipped yesterday!!
    By the end of next week I will received it(ups standard shipping)

Sent from my iPad Air 2 using Tapatalk

3. epicfoxes

epicfoxes Pen Pal - Newbie

I believe weight is just as important as the form factor. The difference is minimal when you're holding a device for relatively short periods (< 5 mins) however anything longer my hand becomes quite restless. It's something that I've noticed in my transition from the S3 to the SP3.

The more I think about the S3 is the perfect device for me. Ugh....I am just going to stop thinking about the S3 and stick with the SP3 till the SP4 details are released.

As a community, maybe we should petition MS for a 'moto-esqe' maker to create device that combines the strengths of both units.

4. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Scribbler - Standard Member

I first tried Metro because the power consumption was supposed to be lowest. I had been using Chrome. At first, I didn't like Metro, but it has "grown" on me. I now like it better than Chrome or IE Desktop.

Regards, Jim

5. epicfoxes

epicfoxes Pen Pal - Newbie

I guess I have a slight preference towards the IE desktop since I have trouble saving pictures in IE metro and my school's Virtual Ware apps won't work with the IE metro

6. WuBoy

WuBoy Scribbler - Standard Member

I agree that weight is an important factor. I just don't see where the difference between the SP3 weight and the S3 weight is that big a deal. Then again, I'm coming from an SP1 and was fine with that, so that could be the reason.

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I normally use IE desktop. I think because I am normally working in the desktop on something or another.

Glad I got the Blue Keyboard.

[​IMG]

I like turning the keyboard around when I'm holding the tablet. Once it's like that, it can be put in writing mode (which I do wish was a bit lower). This is how I normally use it at work.

[​IMG]

8. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

As I mentioned in my "to keep or not to keep" thread, it is about 30% heavier with around ~40% more gravitational torque (rough number it depends on how you hold it of course). To me that is significant. It depends on how you tend to use it though. I tend to switch positions a lot and I tend not to use it lying on a table. I support it with some combination of my hands and legs/knees.

Also for me, I'm already pushing it going to the S3 over the AVN8 (sacrificing some holding comfort for screen real estate). Also I don't need or want a Haswell iCore chip (heat, fan noise, etc). The only thing I would like about the iCore chip is the SSD...

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  9. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

So, today I brought my machine out of sleep today, and touch screen wasn't working. Pen, mouse, & keyboard was working. Anyone have this happen?

10. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Yea, that has happened to me ~4 times so far. As an AVN8 owner, that is worrisome =)

Actually re-reading, when my touch stopped working my pen did as well (keyboard/mouse still worked), so maybe it is a different problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.