Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I use the CCC Codec pack and that adds Media Player Classic. I use Windows Media Player, generally, then skip to MPC if something isn't doing what it should do.

bloodycape likes this.
  2. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't use any; only the codecs that come with the OS.

3. WuBoy

WuBoy Scribbler - Standard Member

WMP is an awful media player. It always gives me problems no matter what machine I use.

4. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm running VLC (desktop) for videos and foobar2000 for audio. So far, no issues.

5. kornchild2002

kornchild2002 Scribbler - Standard Member

That's what I do. The Xbox Video player app seems to handle every video file I throw at it with ease. Then again, I'm mostly playing mpeg-4 AVC videos encoded at 1080p, not really high in bitrate, and with two audio tracks (one down-mixed stereo 128kbps AAC and one 640kbps 5.1-7.1 AC3).

I have some older Divx/Xvid videos with surround sound that work great too. I would rather rely on the Xbox Video app simply because I know battery life and efficiency is better with that. I'll play a rare video with VLC, maybe about once every few weeks or so.

Music, for me, is pretty much solely through modern IE since I subscribe to Google Music All Access. I'll fire up Chrome if I'm plugged in.

Mesosphere likes this.
  6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

How do we get spare tips for the N-Trig pen? I love the soft tip but it's clear that they won't last long.

7. cliffr39

cliffr39 Pen Pal - Newbie

Bronsky likes this.
  8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Looks like you might be able to get them from MS Support..>>

...Microsoft Support will mail you some (typically 3) or you can ask at your local Microsoft store (typically 1 to 3). Months ago, N-trig told me that they were setting up to offer replacement nibs (maybe more than one type) through their retail operation (on Amazon) but as far as I know, nothing has come of it... yet...

Bronsky likes this.
  9. milkytoast

milkytoast Pen Pal - Newbie

Did some testing using a "Dork" usb VA meter

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J3JSEG6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

on the Official Surface charger and the UNIFUN charger I had linked previously.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MJPG46S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My results were ~5.1V and ~2.27A for both the microsoft and Unifun charger. both adapters would cause a discharge when plugged in if I were to start up a program such as Kerbal Space Program at both max brightness and 30%. Without increasing the amperage or voltage. When I plug an Iphone into the second port on the "Dork" the amperage increases up to ~2.94 and the Voltage drops to ~5.0V showing that Unifun was still willing to give more amps. where the Microsoft adapter would just cause a fail and restart from the dork.

does this mean the Surface auto regulates to 2.27A? without the dock there is no way to get more wattage into the surface?

Edit: it should be noted that I have seen the amperage drop down to around to a minimum of 1.7A when the screen is off or the machine is idle and around 1.2A when the surface is off.

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...does this mean the Surface auto regulates to 2.27A? ...there is no way to get more wattage into the surface?..>>

...If that were true, then I wouldn't have been able to charge my Surface 3 in 3 hours, would I...?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.