Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WuBoy

WuBoy Scribbler - Standard Member

On tablets, I use Chrome on the Desktop generally, but IE is set as my default because the Metro version of IE is much better than the Metro version of Chrome.

2. manhattan

manhattan Scribbler - Standard Member

Has anyone noticed that there are some website types in which the touch scrolling function of Metro IE works fine at first, but then stops working; at which point one needs to resort to either scrolling with keyboard or using a pointing device (pen inclusive) on the scroll bar?

3. cliffr39

cliffr39 Pen Pal - Newbie

I use an Apple Time Capsule (my main computer is a MacBook Air) and works fine.

4. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

For me Chrome on Ubuntu is way better in terms of ram and CPU usage than Chrome on Windows 8(but some of that may also do with the fact my desktop has a Broadwell i3 and SSD). Also, IE on this site uses a lot of ram for me.

Minus a few hiccups I am mostly sure I can use the S3 as my main windows device. I think Windows 10 will solve some of the performance issues I have with IE right now and hopefully improve battery life.

5. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Pen Pal - Newbie

So after a couple of days, I'm generally very positive about the device. Its doing pretty much everything I wanted a tablet to be able to (reading, annotating PDFs/Word documents, some light browsing). I just have one question (and this more of a Windows than Surface): for my mail/calendar I've been using Thunderbird on my Windows 7 laptop (with the Lightning calendar addon). I'm pretty used to this setup, and prefer a mail client with calendar functionality as opposed to webmail. Does anyone know if this setup will work on the Surface as well? Is it going to be battery efficient? Also, if anyone has alternative suggestions would love to hear them. Thanks a ton guys. This forum, as always, rocks.

6. daginagi2

daginagi2 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey Gus. Could someone tell me if 2gbs on surface 3 are enough for note taking, websites, movies and such kind of stuff? thank you

7. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Unless you tend to have a lot of tabs, probably.

8. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

For all those wondering about the capability of the Surface 3 (mine is the 128/4 GB model)...

This evening I loaded Turbocad Professional on it and drew a 3D solid model of a part for work tomorrow. It rendered almost instantaneously. I have not been able to have this available since using 64 GB machines but this is gonna be nice! It was just a simple solid (a plate with mounting holes in it) but it did it nonetheless!

This thing will probably run Visio without any issues as well. I will try that later in the week. Keep in mind that Visio is such a resource hog that my Elitepad 1000 was almost unusable to make a drawing when I tried that. Given the rendering speed of the Surface this may just work! Stay tuned....

9. bloodycape

What codec pack is everyone using?

10. bloodycape

I had my first crash today after IE froze. Anyone else experience this yet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.