Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gaidin43

gaidin43 Pen Pal - Newbie

Returned mine for the many of the above reasons. If this was an 8" form factor and could dual boot android CM I'd be on it.

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

If you can live with a 2GB 8" tablet, more power to you. I loved my M80TA but it was crippled by the lack of RAM and the failure to include the higher clocked Atoms. Hopefully, there will be an 8" X7 Atom tablet with 4GB Ram and a siloed pen offered by an ODM. But I doubt it. There is far too much of a race to the bottom in 8" tablets in order to compete on price, which detracts from their use as a professional device.

I am quite impressed with the performance of the X7/4GB combination and won't be going backwards. This tablet is the Atom solution I've been seeking.

You can also order them from the MS Store's business rep. They are readily available. I would like Pro on my S3, but the 128/4GB was the better combination for me. Would like an option to upgrade to Pro for $50.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
    southdunes likes this.
  3. gaidin43

gaidin43 Pen Pal - Newbie

My galaxy pro tab 8.4 I can use for most anything I need and still have it portable and able to one hand it.

It's android CM12 on it and it's most everything I need and the speed is great.

I have briefly looked at windows 8" slates and haven't found anything that's on par with a surface build or quality.

4. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Scribbler - Standard Member

Open IE Metro and swipe from right to bring up Charms. There will be a Privacy option.

Good luck, Jim

manhattan likes this.
  5. kornchild2002

kornchild2002 Scribbler - Standard Member

What happens when you hold the button on the top of your Pen? Do you see the green light turn on? My Pen died on my last week on Friday, three days after first picking it up. I took it back to the MS store (without a receipt) and they gave me a new one off the shelf. They even gave me the batteries from the non-functional Pen.

It's not that hating on Chrome is fun or anything, it's a solid browser. It is just that Chrome isn't very efficient at all. Just to give you an idea, Chrome is using 10% of my work desktop's CPU (a dinky 2GHz dual-core Pentium, but still) and 531MB of RAM. That's with Ad-Block installed and just accessing this website. I can afford that type of inefficiency on a desktop where battery life doesn't matter but not on a system where portability and battery life are key. Those numbers increase once I access a 720p video on YouTube to just a hair over 800MB of RAM being used with 85-95% CPU usage.

I know this is on an older system but it also has an ATI card capable of direct HD video decoding. I can open 1080p HD videos in programs that support off-loading the decoding and CPU usage remains idle with maybe 50MB of RAM being used. So why is Chrome consuming that much?

I have tried running some Chrome apps on my Surface 3 but I just revert back to modern IE mainly because touch input and gestures are a lot better under it compared to Chrome. The apps I tried were Google Music, Gmail, YouTube, Dropbox, and Google Docs. All of those interface well with IE so I don't see a need for me to run them exclusively through Chrome.

Mesosphere likes this.
  6. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Yup, agreed. Chrome is not for basic browsing. Chrome is for immersion into the Google universe. The browser monitors everything and notifies the user of Google+ changes, Gmail stuff, and all other things Google. It would be like Facebook coming out with a browser and alerting you of everything going on with your FB account. All that monitoring and alerting takes resources and internet bandwidth.

If a user is into this stuff like my son then by all means have fun.

If you are not into all this then Chrome is not a good choice in browser.

No hate, no trash talking, just simple logic.

southdunes likes this.
  7. Bronsky

It's funny Dan. When the Office folks were trying to solve my Office problem, IE11 would not work with Office.Com/setup so the MS Representative had to ask me to use Chrome. That was embarrassing. But, yea, I agree with you about Chrome. It is a resource hog. I have gravitated back to IE since starting my tablet addiction.

Nor do I think that there is likely to be any unless Lenovo adds inking capability to its TP8 and upgrades to the X7 Atom. I need windows. Plain and simple.

8. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

It is ironic that this happened on an MS site, but it does go both ways.

I always have a backup browser installed just for website compatibility issues. For years my Firefox backup was IE. Then when I moved to Chrome, IE remained my backup. Now that IE is my main browser, Chrome is my backup. In all cases I've occasionally needed to use the backup.

bloodycape and Bronsky like this.
  9. Bronsky

Anyone contemplating a mUSB docking solution like the ones designed for the Venue 8? Anyone know of one being made for the S3? I think this X7 Atom may be fast enough to drive an external display, BT Mouse and KB. Would like a solution that provided power and data from the mUSB. Ideally, I could use the S3 flat to take notes and keep time and the KB/Mouse/Display for productivity. The illusive 2 device solution? My X301 is quaking in its boots (okay rubber feet) at the thought.

Same here.

10. epicfoxes

epicfoxes Pen Pal - Newbie

Considering using the S3 as my only computer however I was curious if anyone has implemented a WiFi external drive setup?

If so, any performance issues?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.