Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Was the tablet on while you were charging it? Either way it is faster than I'm seeing with the stock charger (9W). Assuming your surface was off while charging, it was getting about ~10.6W between 13% and 82% (for comparisons sake).

2. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

OMG... thanks so much for this information. After installing all the ad blocking
    options my TP 10 is working better than ever! I can't believe how fast my web pages are loading.
    My battery life seems better too! This has given my TP 10 a whole new life and meaning.
    My need to upgrade to S3 dimished significantly, unfortunately.
    Meso, once again, Thank You!!

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Was the tablet on while you were charging it?..>>

...It was in Sleep. I wanted to get a relatively unambiguous charging scenario. I woke up the S3 every 20 to 30 minutes to examine the state of charge, and then promptly put it back to sleep. At ~20 W available, the MP3450i is actually more powerful than any other 5V AC adapter that I have in the house!

Mesosphere likes this.
  4. lafester

lafester Scribbler - Standard Member

Anyone get x86 android to boot on this yet? Vm install doesn't count.

5. manhattan

manhattan Scribbler - Standard Member

I get that hating Chrome is all the rage these days.

But I was wondering if the chrome apps are also out? (Do these apps cause faster battery consumption to?)

If so, I was wondering what all the cool kids are doing these days, to substitute for Chrome Hangouts, and Chrome Calendar.

6. manhattan

manhattan Scribbler - Standard Member

7. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

The one chrome app I tried was arc welder, and that didn't work for me. Well the app loads but the android app I wanted to use didn't work. :/

8. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Final review with every details from Notebookcheck for Surface 3
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Microsoft-Surface-3-Tablet-Convertible-Review.141116.0.html

Update Log
    05/02/2015: Storage benchmarks, Battery runtime/charging time, Updated Verdict
    05/05/2015: Gaming Performance, Team Fortress 2 Game Test
    05/07/2015: Application Performance, Emissions, Verdict with Rating

Pro

+ High-quality chassis
    + Very good display
    + Good battery runtimes
    + Full Windows OS
    + Silent operation
    + Performance easily sufficient for daily tasks
    + Update to Windows 10 included
    + 1 year Office 365 included

Cons

- A bit heavy and thick for a tablet
    - Complete package with Type Cover comparatively expensive
    - Use on the lap not really convenient
    - No maintainability/upgradeability
    - Bottleneck eMMC storage solution
    - Very long charging times

Verdict

We already mentioned that the Microsoft Surface 3 is a convenient package, which does not reveal any serious issues at a first look. Chassis and build quality are on the good level of the predecessor, the Type Cover can actually be used for longer texts, the display convinces with a good luminance as well as accurate colors and the new 3:2 aspect ratio can be a small advantage for productivity. The performance seems to be sufficient as well.

The Surface 3 closes the gap between a tablet and a notebook like we have never seen before. We are eager to follow the journey of Surface products over the next couple of years.

Update 05/02/2015: As expected, the analysis of the storage solution (eMMC) reveals big issues compared to conventional SSD drives. This is mainly noticeable when you copy files, but also when you open and save files within applications.

The determined battery runtimes of the Surface 3 are good and reach more than 7 hours in our WLAN test. The drawback of the Surface 3, however, is the charging time. You cannot use the device if you want to fully charge the battery within 3-4 hours. If you use the device, you can expect charging times of up to 8 hours when the battery is empty. This resulted in pretty big problems when we tested the device on the road.

Update 05/07/2015: After comprehensive tests, the Surface 3 acts like a good working device for common tasks like web browsing, office applications and the playback of audio and video files. Even picture and movie editing is, if you use simple tools, actually possible with the Surface 3.

Our verdict is generally positive with an overall rating of 85 %. The Surface 3 is well-suited as a notebook-tablet hybrid, but a comparatively high price for the package with the Type Cover unfortunately prevents a purchase recommendation.

Sent from my iPad Air 2 using Tapatalk

9. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well... I'd actually prefer to point the finger at Intel. I'm also pretty sure that Intel will, eventually, release an improved driver.

10. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Good gosh man! Have you ever owned an Ipad 4? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.