Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm betting it was an unoptimized image/drivers, I had problems getting the soft keyboard to stay up when I clicked in IE's address bar and had to connect the keyboard. Probably just needs the obligatory hard reset before proper use.

2. dprice7

dprice7 Scribbler - Standard Member

No kiddin? I didn't know those core chips did the connected standby. I'm still in SP2-land because I thought the SP3 was too big ;) That being said, on my DV8P, I always shut it down rather than sleep it because the battery drain is atrocious.

3. southdunes

southdunes Scribbler - Standard Member

I'd wait for the Build Conference at month's end. Small possibility we might learn more regarding the SP4 and you can always pickup the S3 the following week in a retail store.

4. drvenom

drvenom Scribbler - Standard Member

Wow, this might be a good replacement for my old Samsung ativ500, which is so slow now that it can only handle Onenote. I was going to buy the surface pro 3 (i7, 256 SSD, 8gb), but instead I've decided to buy an ultrabook (about $,1000 usd) and use the remaining $500 to buy an atom tablet. This looks like a nice option, but it is kind of pricey. I would pull the trigger if the 4GB $599 model included the stylus. At this price point, it is a bit on the expensive side of things.

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<... I'm torn between the 3 right now and waiting for the SP4...>>

...Wait for the Surface Pro 4.

6. Avenger

Avenger Scribbler - Standard Member

Makes me a little nervous that something as basic as that is not working. How much work would they do on it before they go into production, if they aren't already?

7. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've always had to hard reset new Windows 8 devices, for some reason they never seem to work right the first time. Probably same thing here.

8. epicfoxes

epicfoxes Pen Pal - Newbie

I went to see the device today. I definitely want the S3 however the SP4 might be worth the wait. Price will also play an important part in the decision. Given the inherit weakness of the Canadian dollar, price will make my decision easier.

9. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Huh, I just now noticed that the 3 has a Microsoft logo, after the RT and Pro 1 had a Windows 8 logo and the 2, Pro 2, and Pro 3 had the 'Surface' text.

I much preferred the original idea of it being a logo, and the squared off Microsoft one looks even better to me than the 'perspective' designed Windows 8 one. Good of them to switch back. The Surface text always seemed slightly cheesy to me.

10. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

I played around with one at the MSFT Store in seattle. There was no lag with 1080p video on youtube. I had a few programs open with 5 tabs in internet explorer. Running a 1080p movie trailer had 0 lag and stutter.

Just my two cents. The pen input was fine too. Just smooth as silk like the SP3, the only thing that sucked was the lack of easel mode. I love that mode for SP3.

Ed Hardy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.