Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cliffr39

cliffr39 Pen Pal - Newbie

I think you may be right and wonder if that Dell really made a difference (I haven't repurchased that charger yet). I was just typing in MS Word and the battery was still dropping while plugged in with the Surface 3's charger.

2. jvloyola

jvloyola Scribbler - Standard Member

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I would like the tablet to lie nearly flat in the dock so it could be a notepad.

4. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not sure how this compares to previous Atom chips but here are some gaming vids on the S3:

I installed Marvel Heroes 2015 https://www.marvelheroes.com/ and its quite playable, haven't messed with optimizing it, but it takes about 17GB of storage.

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  5. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I played Civilization V for about 3 hours yesterday. It was a bit stuttery and it took longer to processes the CPU player turns, but it was quite playable.

6. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Docking the Surface 3

Okay, for a while now I have developed the habit where I like to come home from my days adventures and dock my device on my desk. This does 2 things:
    1) gives a rapid charge
    2) projects to a larger screen and interfaces with my USB Hub which is connected to my mouse, keyboard, and DVD drive. Instant desktop.

My Elitepad 1000 (and my 900 before that) and my Dell Venue 8 Pro with it's homemade USB Dock, work flawlessly through the transition in and out of the docking station.

My Helix does not have a dock but it has an interface through the USB hookup. So, it is as easy with the Helix to just plop it on the desk, hook up one cable and everything is a go. Instant desktop computer.

Not so with the Surface 3. The screen does not automatically connect to the monitor with the S3. You need to manually initiate the connection.

The next issue encountered is the 150% scaling factor is employed on the exterior screen as well. Adjusting that causes a log out.

Disconnecting is also an issue. I have only disconnected twice so far and both times have locked up the Surface 3. Once disconnected and rebooted the scaling factor needs to be fixed again for undocked use.

I am not happy. I know Win 8.1 handles this better on every other device I own. I am sure I will figure out a workaround or a driver will be installed some time in the future but why? Every other machine does this fine. Microsoft may not be taking its users seriously. Offering a dock and having it work like this is frustrating.

I am now wondering if just getting a 128 gb Elitepad isn't a better option. If it wasn't for the need to buy a new Atmel pen every 6 months it may be. When working as intended the Atmel digitizer is even better.

Struggling to make this work for me.

7. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

How does the dock connect to the tablet by the way?

Why didn't you face the scaling problem with the other devices? Did you not require scaling on them or do they not scale the secondary monitor?

Did you try hooking up the surface to your homemade DV8P dock?

One thing I like about the SP3 is the single port charging/docking interface. A single cabled docking station would be a much better product in my mind. It would allow for continued use of the slate while docked. Keeping the connection secure might be an issue, but other than that I don't really see any downside to a cabled dock vs. "the clamp".

8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Looking at the adapter now, each outlet has a max amperage of 2.4...so the Microsoft adapter is better at 2.5A and 5.2V...>>

...In order to provide another data point on faster S3 charging, I ran the following trial earlier today.

I have an unbranded Tekkeon MP3450i external battery which is adjustable for output voltages in 12 steps between 5V and 19V (That is, 5.0, 5.5, 6.0, 6.5, 7.5, 8.4, 9.0, 10.0, 11.0, 12.0, 13.0, 14.0, 15.0, 16.0, 18.0, 19.0 V ) . Per Tekkeon, it is capable of supplying up to 4.0A at any of these voltages. (Note that this is not a USB output, although the battery has a standard USB port available.) I also have a Tekkeon micro-USB adapter tip (UA-U11).

I ran my S3 down to ~13% and then plugged in the MP3450i and periodically checked the S3 battery state. The S3 charged to 100% in about 3 hours and 5 minutes. The time history was as follows:
    • t=00:00 S3=13%
    • t=00:38 S3=37%
    • t=01:19 S3=65%
    • t=01:49 S3=82%
    • t=02:20 S3=93%
    • t=02:49 S3=98%
    • t=03:05 S3=100%
    Note that the rate of charge starts to slow as the S3 battery approaches full capacity. The MP3450i has an honest 58 Whr capacity but I don't think it could recharge the S3 twice; maybe 1-1/2 times?

I think that pretty much makes the case that the S3 AC adapter is current limited and that if a higher amperage is available, the S3 can be recharged faster...

However, it still remains to be seen if this is good for the S3 battery...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mesosphere and cliffr39 like this.
  9. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Half solved; I just put it in and out of the dock a half dozen times without lockup. Maybe that part is going to be okay.

I changed the resolution to 1280×800 and the scaling factor to 100%. This has solved my issues with the docked vs undocked scaling and the unusable dialog boxes but now I have black bands at the edges of the screen. In effect, I now have a 16:10 screen. An equivalent resolution for 3:2 needs to be supported by Intel for this graphics chip.

10. NotBatman

NotBatman Pen Pal - Newbie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.