Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cliffr39

cliffr39 Pen Pal - Newbie

I just had an Anker 18w charger arrive and same. The Surface 3 still discharges while plugged in. I may have to grab one of those Dell chargers on eBay for this thing and retest it.

2. milkytoast

milkytoast Pen Pal - Newbie

I do wonder if you could hook up one charger to the Full sized USB port and one to the micro port? since the Full size looks like it charges it off the dock.

never mind... doesn't charge off the usb full sized port but on the plus side it didn't do any damage to the surface.

3. dwx

dwx Scribbler - Standard Member

I've had the touch input die on me once and it required a restart to get it back. No errors or anything, just no longer registered input. I also have an issue where the button at the top of the pen does not trigger OneNote.

4. milkytoast

don't buy the usb charger I had linked before, it does not like charging the surface 3. The charger charges for 15 minutes and then stops probably due to heat. but I can plug it in a minute later and it works another 15.

Edit: the Microsoft Surface 3 charger just did the same thing, it was a different USB cable but the power plug was the official one, where it just stops charging after a bit.

Last edited: May 9, 2015
    jvloyola likes this.
  5. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Some info on the Surface 3 Dock....

It comes with its own power cord but I am not sure how much faster it may charge the S3 than the USB plug. Next time the charge is low I will see how well it works. In the meantime, here are some comparison photos with my Elitepad dock:

It's BIG!

[​IMG]

Back side:

[​IMG]

Side:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, here is a size comparison with my Elitepad 1000. The thickness is almost identical:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Elitepad, because of the shape of the back and the rounded corners feels smaller. The S3, however, is 3:2 and 128 GB SSD so it is better.

On the Dock:

[​IMG]

The pens...my Sony Tap 11 pen which worked after at least 2 years in the drawer, the Surface pen, and my Elitepad 1000 pen. The Atmel pen uses a AAA battery which is better but only lasts about a month.

[​IMG]

My $20 zippered Portfolio. There is a spot for my pen, a zippered area for real pens, a spare battery, etc. My thumb drive even has a loop to stow it in. Many here will recognize this going all the way back to when I toted my T580 around. I still use it. That was a great $20 about 6 years ago now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the mDVI adapter I use to connect my dock (and the Thinkpad Helix by the way) to my VGA monitor. It also has a HDMI connection. The full-size DVI connection does not have all the pins usable so I am not sure what standard that critter is for but everything I have that is DVI will not interface with it.

[​IMG]

I will write about my external monitor performance in a follow up post. This one is getting horribly slow for typing response.

tp2386, Bronsky and Mesosphere like this.
  6. milkytoast

if you look at the pic of the power output label you will see that it is only 5V 2A on the side.
    Now I am looking at the max power output of a single port when buying one. 3.1 seems to be the max but also very rare. The Venue 11 has a charger that outputs 24W to a single port.

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  7. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Yea, my initial impression that other chargers were charging the S3 faster than the MS charger proved false when I measured it. So far nothing I have at my house outdoes the surface charger at 9W. This is substantially less than 2.5A though (~1.7A @ 5.2V). The second best was my wife's GS5 charger which gives just a little bit less than 9W (~8.5). Everything else charges substantially slower.

One thing I did notice is the chargers stop charging... but not to zero W. This doesn't always happen, but after about ~10 minutes (it varies a bit), the charge rate will drop down to near zero. Strangely though it doesn't drop such that the charger is not outputting power, but such that the net charge on the battery (charger - used power) is approximately zero.

It might be dropping down to trickle change (0.5A) ...

8. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

One thing they would have to do before I could even consider the "one device" idea is make the surface dock so that it allows the surface to lie at a decent writing angle.

Bronsky and JoeS like this.
  9. Randall Garrett

Randall Garrett Scribbler - Standard Member

FWIW, the newly released UAG rugged cases for the S3 sport a pen "clip" on the (landscape) top, similar to the Motion C5/F5 solution. I have found that the case itself is lighter than the ones for the SP3 (duh!) but I have not yet checked the percentage ratios. I noted that the case itself (sans S3 inserted) feels more pliable, so I imagine that they have reduced the materials somewhat. Once the S3 is inserted, however, everything is rigid as you would expect. I'll compare the kickstand angles of the S3 vs. UAG case and report back and include pictures if they come out OK. For now, here are shots from the Amazon listing page. The cases are available in red or black - I purchased both to demo to customers, but I am posting the red because it seems to stand out more. They are currently running $44.86 and $45.73 in black and red, respectively (vs. $69.95 MSRP @ UAG)

Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VJYTYK8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope this helps!

-Randall Garrett-
    +Apex Software+

/end/

Ozymandias likes this.
  10. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Anyone have video codec suggestion? I installed K-lite codec pack and my sound went out to a point I had to uninstall it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.