Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. milkytoast

milkytoast Pen Pal - Newbie

The usb charging is really nice and since you can find a plug almost anywhere to at least keep the battery level, and the charge time didn't bother me that much when power is more convenient than a laptop with a proprietary power plug. Looking at the dock online, apparently you can charge it though the full sized USB port as well and that is a 42W charger.

I would love to find a Bluetooth Trackman Trackball from Logitech so I could free up my usb port for other things.

The eMMC hasn't bothered me yet, are there any applications I should watch out for where this will be an issue?

I am trying to see how well it works for keyboard typing while sitting on the couch or laying down. a full laptop is more comfortable in that situation for sure but the S3 is light enough to where i think i can be workable, not ideal, but workable. part of the problem is that it cannot tilt towards my face enough before gravity slams it on my hands.

Edit: Also I have been cleaning metal shavings from bottom and bottom of the screen (where the magnets are) after having to work in a metal shop with the surface, I should have kept the type cover on.

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  2. panayiotist

panayiotist Pen Pal - Newbie

Can anyone test how the Surface handles really large PDF & Powerpoint files? I have some medical textbooks which are approx 300mb large, so I'd appreciate it if anyone could help me decide on this device.

Thanks!

3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

What cases are you referring too (link?)? One thing that would really make the S3 work better for me is a lightweight easily/quickly removable case that offers a better experience for lap use. It has to be very easy to quickly remove though because, for tablet use I don't want the extra bulk.

Battery Life Results
    I've been continuing to test battery life under various loads. I'll probably create a separate thread to compile all the results.

Just some quick interesting results though. (Battery life results are projected for (100%->5%))

Civ 5:
    3:22, medium/low-ish settings, default resolution, ~30% brightness.

Max drain case I've found so far:
    2:27 (11.4W), 100% CPU via repeated calculation of "exp(50)" in an efficient multithreaded loop, 100% WiFi via download over windows network file share @13 MB/s, 100% brightness.

The extremes I've found so far in battery life are 2:27 up to 19 hours =P

I ran a similar test to the max drain case above where I added in some Halo Spartan assault to attempt to keep the GPU active also. It actually ended up using slightly less power though (11.0W). I think it was lower because the throttling it induced. Without Halo, the CPU didn't throttle (stayed locked at 2.4GHz for the whole test), but adding HALO to the mix induced throttling which of course reduces power draw. After first starting Halo power draw was 13W, but then it quickly dropped, reaching as low as 8.8W.

Another mostly coincidental result is my video test (from an earlier post) matched MS's claim at ~10 hours. It is coincidental because I don't know the bit rate of MSs test (I assume I know the player/format), and I don't know what brightness they used.

4. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Most of the cases were ruggedized cases from Urban Armor, Trident, etc. And these metal encased KIOSK Solutions. Also all of the normal vendors such as Maroo, Incipio are producing versions for the S3.

Mesosphere likes this.
  5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Glad you bought an S3. I appreciate the time you spend researching these issues.

I find that I use the display at 45% most of the time, mainly because that level is easier on the eyes. As your results show, battery life at that level is quite good.

Anybody know if there is a battery saving setting on the S3 preventing full recharging? Also, I discovered the pen sensitivity resetting feature in the Surface Metro App that comes with the unit. I think the writing feel has improved a bit with a tick-up in sensitivity.

Overall, this is a great tablet. I don't really get all the comparisons with the SP3 or Core M devices. If you are a power user and have the need for serious computing power, this is clearly not the device for you. For that matter, no atom device is. I am quite impressed with the power of the X7 Atom. I was E-filing in the federal court with it yesterday and it outpaced my X301's SU9300, reducing uploading times significantly. That is so, even though I have an SSD (Sata I) in the X301. Incredible for an Atom.

@panayiotist I deal with fairly large PDF files regularly in my practice. With a 300mb file, the eMMC and RAM limitations will be your biggest problems. I had a 95mb Appendix (~ 1,500 scanned pages of exhibits which included photographs and graphic charts, etc.) open the other day in an appeal I'm working on and once it was loaded, there were really no problems using the file, even adding some annotations, but the drive's and memory's limitations were obvious. I would go with an I-Core/SSD/8GB Pro as a minimum configuration for your needs.

6. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

How is battery drain for everyone? I put it in airplane mode, and took it off the charger. In about hour and a half time it lost about 2% battery life. Is that normal? That's one of the things I liked about RT, you could leave it off the charge for hours and the battery life would barely go down.

@Brodsky I had the same CPU in my beloved Vaio TT(but w/ a 5200rpm HDD and 4gb of ram) and performance wasn't too much of a big deal for me. In fact I would even do light video editing(cutting two different video files then split screening it and adding HD audio) in Sony Vegas without much of a hiccup. So, it great to read that the quad core X7 Atom is equal or better than the SU9300. How does the PDF opening example compare to your X301?

7. kornchild2002

kornchild2002 Scribbler - Standard Member

I find that stand by battery drain is reduced after the unit goes into hibernation mode. Until then, with apps accessing the internet, the drain is more substantial. I have three apps (email, Facebook, and reddit) update via wi-fi and my Surface 3 dropped by 4% overnight. I've left all the default settings on. The drop in battery seems to happen during the first few hours. After that, in hibernation, the decrease is minimal if anything.

8. epicfoxes

epicfoxes Pen Pal - Newbie

Personally, I've been annotating in Drawboard with pdfs in excess of 400 MB and no issues thus far.

Slight delays while opening and saving though.

On an interesting note, if I open the text from Onedrive, it appears to open/save faster. I have no idea why.

panayiotist likes this.
  9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

What a great notebook the TT was! I wish the X301 had a display that was close to the Sony display. The SU9300 handles my large PDF files fine. Publishing from WordPerfect to PDF is seamless. The GMA 4500MHD graphics struggles a bit at times, but the processor is willing.

The biggest issue I have with my X301 is its performance during large data transfers online. The old Intel 5000 wireless card drivers are not as stable as I would like in W8.1.

I would say that the Atom is close to the performance of the old Penryn and is far more energy efficient. It's the graphics performance of the X7 that leaves the GMA 4500 in the dust. It would be interesting to run some benchmarks side-by-side.

The drive speed of the eMMC hampers the S3's performance at times in challenging situations. While the SU9300 will open and manipulate the large PDF a bit faster than the X7, the Atom can transmit the file faster and more reliably on the Court's E-Filing website.

Because it's not slowed down by the eMMC drive?

10. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

That display was something, I was told at the time it was 6bit and I know for sure it was near 100% color gamut for RGB and 80% for adobe all in a sharp anti-glare display. So, the S3 display comes pretty close to it, but with way better brightness, though it lacks the ant-glare coating(which I may add via screen protector).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.