Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Which other ones did you use?

2. milkytoast

milkytoast Pen Pal - Newbie

Agreed, as long as the weird wrapping screen wrapping to the right issue and phantom shift key were just one time problems for me, I think I'll be returning that Thinkpad Yoga S1 I have.

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  3. Mac jones

Mac jones Scribbler - Standard Member

Ok, i'm a little pissed. It's the Intel Graphic Control Panel (153335). It should work (I think?), but it's not working. I'm installing it manually, and it installs but then gives me the error that it's not compatible this this version of windows. It's probably a bug. But that thing is so useful, without it,
    it can't even scale correctly as the option to stretch is gone, and EVERY single resolution besides native has borders. Point is? I don't know. Just trying I guess to get someone else on it to make them miserable like I am :)

4. gaidin43

gaidin43 Pen Pal - Newbie

I used an anker 5 port usb charging Hub to charge it overnight from about 15%. It charged my Samsung pro tablet, Galaxy 5, iPhone 6, and surface just fine (surface was 100% in the am). Seemed to charge better then the stock one.

Still ended up putting in my return request though. This thing is killing me performance wise and is in an odd spot.

5. epicfoxes

epicfoxes Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm leaning towards keeping mine. OneDrive performance has been great and the device has been terrific thus far. I must say watching Netflix on this versus my old AVN8 is night and day

6. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Scribbler - Standard Member

Tried to connect it to my 4k monitor, and it won't do 60hz unfortunately. Thankfully I don't plan on using guy with an external displayport display, just my usb 3.0 displaylink monitor.

7. bloodycape

I think one has to move to Broadwell Iris gpu to do proper 4K at 60hz.

I am really digging the S3, but the charging, and emmc are really a downer for me and has me almost thinking about moving to the SP3, but then I loose out on what I find t0 be size of the S3. What would have been cool was if MS used the Cherry Trail version of the Pentium Atom(which the Vaio Flip 11, and one of the Yoga versions use), but with connected standby mode. I'm pretty sure the Pentium atoms use SSD as the Vaio Flip 11 was being offered with 256gb drive. SSD would have really made this soar.

As for the USB-C discussion they could have used USB-C instead of the micro-USB port.

8. gaidin43

gaidin43 Pen Pal - Newbie

The emmc and charging is what out me off. Otherwise it is a decent tablet. The port debate I can go either way since usb c is gonna come at some point.

I'm going to hold off for the sp4/5 or maybe a chi 300 if I can find a display model to play with.

9. cliffr39

cliffr39 Pen Pal - Newbie

Completely agree. I love the size and functionality of it, but the eMMC is the only thing I hate. I can take the slower Atom and slower charge, but wow on the read/write speed.

Someone else said it - they should let you build your own Surface like Dell does.
    Select screen 10.8" vs 12"
    select storage size and type (eMMC for lower price or SSD)
    select process type (Atom, Core M, or Core iX).

I would have built 10.8, 128GB SSD, with Core M-5Y10 :)

bloodycape likes this.
  10. bloodycape

I take emmc is faster than hdd right? I guess I never noticed emmc speed as on RT for me Tegra 3 was the bottleneck(as was the 2gb of ram, but that's another story).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.