Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Great tip, just note that this also removes any failsafe in case the system runs out of battery power. This means any changes to open documents could get lost, unless the software can recover temporary files that were open at the time.

Mesosphere likes this.
  2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I've used other power supplies, and they did seem to provide more power, however power draw on the system can be too variable for this subjective impression to be very reliable. I plan to add that to my set of tests.

manhattan likes this.
  3. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Mesosphere likes this.
  4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Anybody hook an S3 up to an external display yet? How about you dock owners? If I had a 16:9 1080p display would W8.1 scale it properly and adjust to the different aspect ratio or would it need to be adjusted?

5. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

I have not set my dock up yet but I do plan on doing that today.

One thing I did notice is that on all my other 16:10 or 16:9 TabletPC's I have been able to turn down the resolution and set the scaling factor to less than 150%. On the S3 there is no other lower resolution for 3:2. So, this device is stuck with the 150% scaling factor. Older software like my Franklin-Covey PlanPlus which uses a fixed size dialog box for options and issue reports are hosed as the okay and cancel buttons are out of the box. This is a downer...

6. kornchild2002

kornchild2002 Scribbler - Standard Member

I have it hooked up to my HP monitor, it's 16:9 and 1080p. So far it looks like performance is the same as my old SP2 in that Windows scales properly between the two displays. Scaling is essentially the same when mirroring and or extending due to the similarities in resolutions. I haven't had to adjust the way Windows handles scaling for either.

7. cliffr39

cliffr39 Pen Pal - Newbie

I used the 24w charger that comes with the Dell Venue 11 Pro (7140) and it seemed much faster. I downloaded the battery info app after I returned the Dell, so not sure exactly how much better it may have been.

Mesosphere likes this.
  8. cliffr39

cliffr39 Pen Pal - Newbie

I did the screen mirror on my Samsung 55" and the Surface 3 scaled (had the bars on top/bottom of Surface screen, but filled the Samsung perfectly).

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Funny, I was looking for this adjustment and didn't find it. Thanks Cliffr39 and Kornchild. Sounds promising for an external display/dock set up.

This S3 is exceeding my expectations.

10. milkytoast

milkytoast Pen Pal - Newbie

Good to know. I was able to charge the Surface 3 on an apple and third party 5W charger overnight in standby mode. I do have a 24W charger on the way from amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MJPG46S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    EDIT: don't buy, overheats and shuts off after 15 ish minutes of charging the surface 3.

I have an all white version of this that I'll have access to this weekend.

Edit: extra thought: I feel more having more USB charging ports and a more powerful adapter are missed opportunists on the official Surface charger. What would have been really sweet is wireless charging built into the touch keyboard.

Last edited: May 9, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.