Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. epicfoxes

epicfoxes Pen Pal - Newbie

Did you return your S3 already?

2. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Nope, not yet. Its back in its box though. Been back to using my Thinkpad.

3. Allie

Allie Pen Pal - Newbie

So, I think I maybe retuning mines. I got the 128gb 4gb of ram from the MS store with the pen(complimentary) and the warranty. I am using a usb wireless keyboard I purchased years ago for $10 that works amazing. However, in the time i have had the Surface 3 it for no reason after being idle and not plugged in, on airplane mode, and not been used for a little over an hour shut down. So, far that happened twice, and I am pretty sure it's not hibernation as I don't even see that option, nor is it low battery both times I was over 60%. Second, using the touch screen yesterday in landscape mode, the on screen keyboard would guff up. I hit y, it would press u instead, I press 0 it presses minus. A restart fixed that but still. Also, the battery life isn't awful when you think about how much you paid and the cpu it uses. The i3 SP3 gets the same battery life(I know because my gal pal has one). I am thinking about just taking it back and getting an i3 256gb model from a local computer shop here since that's a faster cpu with the same battery life. On the other hand I get a heavier device. So......

4. Mac jones

Mac jones Scribbler - Standard Member

That's why I chose that model. Just for the savings. Works ok.

No way i'm letting my SP3 go, so as a companion device who cares.
    Also..... i'm used to 2gb with Atom machines. My Note 8 has that, as does all those other ones, except maybe the Thinkpad and a Venue model? Lenovo is fine, however...... :)

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Have you more than one language installed? Layout varies between languages and that may explain why you get "wrong" characters.

Balbutio ergo sum

6. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well, it's been less than a day since I got my S3, and so far, everything seems to be going well. I used it for a 3 hour session of taking notes in OneNote during a meeting yesterday evening.

One thing that irritates me slightly is that Microsoft has kept the same behaviour of the SP3 - both machines only remain in Connected Standby for four hours before going into Hibernation.

Having got used to the Instant On behaviour of my ThinkPad tablets over the past couple of years, having the extra delay of coming out of Hibernation on the Atom-based S3 seems to be slightly unnecessary and irritating.

Is there no way to change this?

7. panayiotist

panayiotist Pen Pal - Newbie

Yup, open up a Command Prompt with Administrator rights and type: powercfg.exe /hibernate off

This disables Hibernation and makes the Surface stay in InstantGo.

8. milkytoast

milkytoast Pen Pal - Newbie

otg usb hub + charging?

anyone try it yet on the surface 3? results and comments?

9. kornchild2002

kornchild2002 Scribbler - Standard Member

But then you would have been complaining about having to buy a $20 adapter just to hook a thumb drive up to the Surface 3. Plus the mini-DP port is just about as thick as the USB 3.0 port. Again, they could have relied on USB type-C for everything but again, you would of had to buy an $80 adapter to get video out, a USB port, and charging capabilities (just like with the MacBook). Nope, not worth it.

It is. Anandtech never went into the details of how software they used to test. Programs that rely on hardware decoding for video playback (like the Xbox video app) will always allow for more battery life than programs that rely on software decoding (like VLC). Plus there's a difference between the modern (touch) and desktop versions of IE. The modern version is much more efficient. The same exact things happen with any system and any tablet including the iPad Air 2. Use a video playback app that doesn't support hardware decoding and the iPad's battery life drastically dips. Hell, you aren't going to get 9 hours of internet browsing out of an iPad Air 2 using Chrome.

No, just no. Synaptics, which is what's in the HP Specter x360, isn't nearly as accurate or sensitive to different pressures. It has drastically improved over the years but N-trig is still better. The only thing Wacom has over N-trig, at this point really, is not having to rely on a power source in the pen and it is sensitive to more pressure points within the pen.

The Atom x7 SoC has graphics that are just as powerful as current higher end ARM configurations. Efficiency all depends on how it is used and, so far, it looks like the power draw is just as efficient when the IGP is doing the decoding.

10. manhattan

manhattan Scribbler - Standard Member

I have read several posts of users experiencing slow recharge and even drainage, while plugged in and under load.

Has anyone attempted resolving this by using a different power-supply capable of pushing 13W or more? Or used any other technique to address the issue?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.