Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

What do you find to be a mess?

I abandoned Firefox years ago for Chrome, and then I went back to IE when Windows 8 came out (after having left it for firefox... many years ago ... 15ish?).

For touch browsing Modern IE is just way better than Chrome (dunno about Firefox), and in terms of battery life it is much better (again, dunno about Firefox).

Azule and alaskajoel like this.
  2. manhattan

manhattan Scribbler - Standard Member

A lie. Funny. But a lie. She is reviewing a 4GB model

3. Mesosphere

Holy crap you have big hands.

4. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Scribbler - Standard Member

Anandtech got a 2GB version.

The 16:9 Surface Pro 2 might have been easier to wrap a big hand around, but trying to balance it in portrait mode with one hand was harder for me than the S3 because of where the extra weight was.

I more typically cradle my tablet in my left forearm and write anyway, which is much easier to do with a wider tablet for me. Even with my M80TA I never held it in one hand and wrote on it. I might have browsed websites, or casually read that way, but never actually got work done that way.

Besides...I annotate PDFs more than anything, and the 3:2 is so much more representative of an 8.5 x 11 piece of paper compared to 16:9. I could never go back to a 16:9 tablet...maybe 16:10, but not 16:9

5. kornchild2002

kornchild2002 Scribbler - Standard Member

There are plenty of reasons why the Surface 3 is thicker than an iPad Air 2. One of those being the full sized USB port. Microsoft left very little room above and below the port, that was as thin as they could make it while including a standard USB port without switching to a type-C connector further adding to the cost of the unit (i.e. adapters ala the new MacBook). It's also not much thicker than the standard headphone out/microphone in 3.5mm port. The Surface 3 also has a built-in kickstand (adds thickness and weight) and the N-trig screen input, which is thinner than Wacom's pen input layer, still adds some thickness to the unit.

The Surface 3 is just a hair thicker than Samsung's Note tablets which rely on Wacom for pen input. The Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 edition) is 7.9 mm thick while the Surface 3 is 8.6 mm. So it's on par with other ARM tablets that have pen input. The Surface 3 is only 100 grams more than the Galaxy Note as well yet the Surface 3 has a 0.7" larger display and is made of metal. Yeah, I would call that on-par taking all things into consideration. The iPad Air 2 definitely wouldn't be 6.1 mm thick if it had Wacom, N-trip, Synaptics, or some other pen input method built into the display (which produces better results).

As for the battery life, that all depends on the browser that you use. An iPad is going to last you for 8-9 hours of internet browsing only if you use Safari. Open up Chrome or FireFox and the internet browsing time decreases. It's the same for the Surface 3. You'll get about 8-9 hours when using the touch version of IE but that drops once you open up the desktop version of IE, Chrome, FireFox, Safari, or any other browser. It's also the same for video playback. You'll get the most when using the MS Xbox video app for playing videos but other apps like VLC or iTunes will cause a decrease. On the iPad you have to use Apple's Video app to playback videos. VLC or anything else reduces the battery life too.

Take a look at the MacBook line, even the new MacBook. You will get Apple's video playback numbers ONLY if you use iTunes. You will get their internet browsing numbers ONLY if you use Safari.

It's all a matter of using programs and apps that are optimized for the platform/device.

As for your Atom statement, nah. It's is perfectly fine for competing with ARM SoCs and then some.

6. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Doesn't Atom also produce more heat that competing ARM CPU? Or has that changed with the new Atom CPUs?

7. Mesosphere

It might in "average" Windows use compared to ARM on a mobile OS. Windows applications tend to keep the processor buisier (particularly ones not coded with S0iX in mind) which will produce more heat, but I think the fundamental efficiencies are very similar (at least they were when Bay Trail was released).

8. Mac jones

Mac jones Scribbler - Standard Member

Uh, a little embarrassing here but WTF. Recently, I started getting MASSIVE adds with IE. I couldn't get rid of some of them, so out of frustration I just went to Firefox. It sort of freaked me out actually. I had never seen anything like it. Thing is, I just have had no time to troubleshoot it, so Firefox works and I use it. Some day i'll work it out, but i'm in no rush. I've read some things about this, and i'm certain there's an easy fix. Just haven't gotten around to it.

9. Mesosphere

Did you see my post yesterday about metro IE's built in add blocking feature? (I had a similar problem)

10. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Mine's just arrived, over here in the rainy U.K, so here goes:

Used Space/Ram used:
    -17.7GB / 1.2GB (First boot after a fresh restart and left for a few minutes)
    -12.9GB / 1.0GB (Hibernation, Virtual mem, Sys retore, encryption, all off)
    -13.0GB / 1.3GB (All 73 updates installed along with a few apps, Office removed, temp folders emptied)
    -12.9GB / 1.3GB (After Disk clean-up)
    -12.9GB / 1.0GB (Various services disabled)

Will update once Disk clean-up decides to finish. Nice device and it's 'literally a smaller SP3.

P.s. The funny thing with IE is that hardly NO-ONE changes the pop-up blocker to HIGH from medium... They just change browser. Odd.

Last edited: May 7, 2015
    Bronsky likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.