Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mac jones

Mac jones Scribbler - Standard Member

I bought this. Also, this is the model they sent to Lisa for her 20 minute review.
    I wanted it to use as a waste of space. The fact it was anti-whales was just icing :)

manhattan and Mesosphere like this.
  2. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I really want to like this device I really do... but I will be honest when I think I made a mistake selling off my SP3 right now. Like I have said before I hope to get news on the SP4 within my return policy so I can decide to keep this or return and go back to the SP series.

decisions, decisions....

3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Tough choice! Something to consider: the S3 has a super bright screen, whereas I find my TP10 always a bit dim. Plus for me the kickstand would be nice to have. I'm still sticking with the TP10 though, got a4GB/128GB for a good price, and I do like the pen and the quickshot cover.

4. WuBoy

WuBoy Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm wondering how hard it would be for the Surface to become modular. They don't even really need lines. I'm not saying they can't have certain stock configurations that they send out to stores. I do think it would be great if they had a Surface Maker similar to what Motorola does with its phones.

All Surface units would have the same basic build, but think about if you could go to a site and build your surface like this:

Display:
    8''
    10''
    12''

Processor:
    Atom
    Core M
    Core i3
    Core i5
    Core i7

Drive
    eMMC
    SSD

RAM
    2 GB
    4 GB
    6 GB
    8 GB

Memory
    64 GB
    128 GB
    256 GB
    512 GB

Stand
    Fixed
    Adjustable

OS
    Windows 8.1
    Windows 8.1 Pro

Of course there would be some limitations with how you could mix match, especially when considering the Atom and what it's compatible with. They could have a base price and then give a price for how much each component over that base would add-on. I think this would be cool.

tp2386 likes this.
  5. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I think most the posters here are not new to windows 8 tablets, so the idea of fewer lower quality Modern UI apps is not new for us =P

I think it comes down to needs/desires whether or not this is a big deal or not. The content/functionality in many apps can often be accessed via the web page. For the things that can't, I tend not to want to do those on my tablet (I find them better suited for my phone GN4, or I simply don't do them at all =P).

It depends on use case, and for some people a Windows tablet can replace the functionality of a iOS/Android tablet, but I think the ideal Windows tablet user is someone who wants something different than what a iOS/Android user wants. For me I want a Windows Desktop interface first so that I can use OneNote 2013 (and the rest of office) in addition to many other x86 tools.

For me, any app-like additional functionality is just a bonus. The app ecosystem tends to be good enough for what I want to do on my device, and I often like the web site version of the content in apps better than the apps anyway. Modern UI IE does a pretty good job of making the full version of websites touch friendly.

I don't have a significant problem with the interface though. It takes a little getting used too, but a learning curve generally doesn't bother me much.

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  6. epb

epb Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm not seeing some killer feature that would make me switch from my TP10, and some of the experiences posted actually give me pause (the charging issue, for example).

7. Mac jones

The Sp3 is better no doubt, but this is great. The SP3 is much heavier, and more costly. I would keep this until the SP4 is not vapor. Selling these is easy. Note: I've been going back and forth between these, and let me tell you, it's not an unpleasant experience :D

8. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Scribbler - Standard Member

Great tip!!

Battery life on my SP3 jumped up 20 minutes within two hours!

Regards, Jim

9. Mac jones

I just use Firefox. I could not believe the mess that IE is.

10. twitfri

twitfri Scribbler - Standard Member

I too am a recent owner of the Surface 3 and agree with quite a lot of dissatisfaction expressed here, even though I quite like it in other ways.

I like the 3:2 aspect ratio but the fact that its not single palm-able makes it cumbersome to use as a tablet. I think a less than 9" screen would be needed to make it feel like a tablet. The earlier Surface tablets by virtue of being 16:9, therefore less wide, could easily be held in one hand with your fingers wrapping around it in portrait mode. So to me its a step back.

Its quite light but needs to be even lighter and also thinner. Afterall the battery life is really no better than Surface Pro 3 while being less than 50% in CPU/GPU power and much worse in storage speed, there is no excuse for the weight and thickness that's larger than premium ARM based tablets. The x7 die is smaller than the 3-core A8x processor in iPad Air 2 (see Anandtech). Then why the helll is this tablet so much thicker and heavier yet not giving me the same battery life for playing videos and browsing. Shame on Microsoft and Intel!

The screen however is phenomenal, almost as good as the Galaxy Note 4 (which no other device could touch so far, besides the new Galaxy S6 screens). Speaker placement is good but damn why is it quieter than Surface Pro 2 which doesn't have front facing speakers, I will never understand. My Galaxy Note 4 is as loud and more full sounding than the S3 in a much smaller body, playing the same videos. What gives?! This problem was there for SP3 as well.

My conclusion is that hardware is just not very easy to do. I am huge fan of the design, the magnesium frame, the kickstand, the type cover, but they always seem to miss few things here and there. You can't just show up and outclass top-tier long time hardware OEMs. Samsung is releasing Galaxy Tab S2 which is rumored to be 5.5 mm in thickness and half the weight of this tablet. Now that's what a tablet should be. Too bad, I like my x86 programs, and Windows. But Intel with the Atom line is still not competitive at all with top-of-the-line ARM, its not even in the same league, sorry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.