Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yeah_mike

yeah_mike Pen Pal - Newbie

I thought Microsoft was boasting that they fixed those problems on the SP3 already, and because the S3 uses the same WiFi chip there shouldn't be any problems on the S3 (ie. any potential problems should be fixed already)... heh.

2. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm not really disappointed--just see more potential in the device, even if it doesn't make business sense. I knew the emmc would be slow, and the battery charging issue really isn't a problem because I will likely never use this device In a way that requires me to charge it during the day. Sacrifices would have had to be made for a faster ssd or processor (namely on price) and while I would pay $799 for a Core M + SSD Surface 3, it would be a hard sell for a lot of other folks. I totally understand, and it was the right choice on Microsoft's part.

It is phenomenal at what it's designed to be...of the 12 tablet PCs I've used, the inking and onenote experience here are the absolute best. No wacom edge drama, never gets hot, runs silent, wonderful one handed size and the 3:2 ratio cannot be praised enough.

At the end of the day, it is the best productivity tool I've used for taking notes and managing my workday. I have other computers for more intense things.

This little S3 isn't going anywhere, and I'm thrilled with it for what it is...a perfect companion device that can work as a laptop in a pinch. It makes for a lousy single device ultrabook replacement... a role the SP3 was intended to fill.

Last edited: May 7, 2015
    Azule, epicfoxes and Mr. Boosh like this.
  3. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You touched on some of the points influencing whether I'll buy one to try out. I currently have a pennable Haswell tablet, but I honestly don't push it enough. But at the end of the day, it's always nice to have the computing power just in case.

Btw, I was looking at your desktop build, nice! I'm running a delidded i7-4770k @ 4.6GHz crammed in a little m-ITX box with a 750ti and some 840 EVOs as well. I love it!

alaskajoel likes this.
  4. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well, sort of. My TP10 is actually not mine - it's on long term loan to me from Lenovo. My S3, bought with my own money, arrives today. So I get to do side by side comparisons. I'm hoping that I won't come to the conclusion that I should have kept my money, and that I'll be able to return the loan TP10 with a clear conscience.

5. Kendra

Kendra Pen Pal - Newbie

Where would you get an SP2 512GB with Pen and Power Cover for $ 500? I'd rather have that than any SP3 configuration.

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Love nearly everything about this tablet but its size. If it was 8-9" it would be perfect. Same size as the Slate 500 with 3:2 aspect ratio would probably be ideal. The tablet is still a keeper for all the other reasons that I like it.

Interestingly, I am using my phone for a lot of things I would use my M80TA for. I became dependant on it with no tablet for a month. A bit larger phone, like one of the rumored Lumias, might be an ideal combination with the S3. Lots of adjustments.

BTW, I really like this pen. N-Trig technology has come a long way. This is coming from someone who swore off NTrig products after three years of frustration.

dceggert and alaskajoel like this.
  7. jvloyola

jvloyola Scribbler - Standard Member

You can het a USED SP2 off ebay for around that much.

Vinny

8. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Scribbler - Standard Member

I am the same way regarding my phone. I also have been using an M80TA, but when it died, my galaxy note 3 stepped in. Onenote for Android has come a long way, and I use it for the little things I scribble during the day. Without it, I would probably share your perspective on the size of the surface 3.

9. gaidin43

gaidin43 Pen Pal - Newbie

I agree and 8 to 9 inch Windows tablet with the surface build quality would be great. However is it me or is the windows metro info structure still severely lacking when compared to android or Apple I find it almost impossible to get a lot of common apps. And the interface is still messed a bit.

Hopefully windows 10 gets better and if it does I may look at going back.

Otherwise I'll be putting in for the return today unless some wants a 128/4 with black pen and screen protector for $650

10. manhattan

manhattan Scribbler - Standard Member

Has anyone gotten the 2/64 version?

I don't know why MS even bothered to make the 2/64 model.
    It seems like a hostile anti-environmental waste of natural resources; and they knew it.
    That's why of all the demo models sent out to reviewers, exactly 100% were 4/128 with KB and pen.
    Does anyone think differently?

Given to choose between the TP10 with Intel Atom Z3795 Processor, 4GB LPDDR3 Memory, 128GB eMMC Storage, 64bit OS and the 2 GB S3, which would make a better office/oneNote productivity and general media consumption tool?

P.S.
    I'm infinitely vexed; nay, my heart is consumed with unfathomable rage by the existence of the 2/64. If it were 4/64; hell 4/32, I'd be okay... But 2/64... please, for the love of god, someone please conduct a public flogging of whoever is responsible for that.
    (In Asia there are no 4/128 to be had, only 2/64 -hence my fury)

Bronsky likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.