Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cliffr39

cliffr39 Pen Pal - Newbie

Glad I'm not the only one considering returning the Surface 3. I've always loved every single Surface device in the past, until this guy arrived.

2. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well then why don't you test it out? Grab one of the current Android-x86 builds, make a bootable USB drive, and run it in live mode.

I would very much appreciate it.

3. tp2386

tp2386 Pen Pal - Newbie

Sad to see this many people disappointed. I'm in love with mine!

4. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I'm actually moving slightly the other way. I bought this assuming I'd return it, but after a day with it I'm liking it more than I expected I would. What is surprising me is that it is so much more comfortable to take notes on than I expected. I think 8" landscape is still more comfortable to hold, but the margin is much smaller than I expected.

The eMMC performance I pretty much knew I'd get going in. The eMMC benchmarks (and feels) faster than my AVN8, but it is still clearly not an SSD. The low power output of the power supply I feel like will be a fixable problem (either via an update or an alternate charger). Either way it isn't a huge issue for me.

The SoC is also not a problem. I have little to no need for lots of power on my mobile device. I keep my T904 locked down at 0.8GHz and rarely notice slow downs because of it. In my use case the processor utilization rarely cracks 20% even at 0.8GHz.

It is definitely not as comfortable in my lap compared to my T904 though. It is pretty stable with the extra kick stand positions, but the kick stand digging into my legs coupled with the need to hold my knees close together make it much less comfortable. If I can find a lightweight quickly removable case that allows for better lap use, I could be satisfied though.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  5. gaidin43

gaidin43 Pen Pal - Newbie

Don't get me wrong is a great device, but just might not be best for me. The screen is amazing, the front facing speakers are surprisingly good, full windows, pen, aspect ratio, and build/feel are all great pluses for it.

For me the overall lack of speed, responsiveness, and battery issues doesn't work for me. I'm just going to look into a high powered dell xps 13 and stick with my 8" android tablet for travel work. Or wait and see what the surface 4/5 have.

The dell venue 11 I had blew this out of the water for speed and performance, but the build and aspect on that was what killed that for me.

6. Spartanjet

Spartanjet Pen Pal - Newbie

It seems like there aver very few power options. I keep trying to download a game off steam but the Surface 3 is set to go to sleep in 2 minutes (even when plugged in) which stops the download. It has no setting for screen shut off in X minutes so if you change the sleep timer it keeps the system and screen on the entire time. Really inflexible my Dell Venue Pro 11 5130 could download and turn the screen off without sleeping. Its like this thing lacks connected standby.

7. cliffr39

cliffr39 Pen Pal - Newbie

Is that why it took over 3.5 hours for me to install Office 365?? I kept turning off the screen thinking it would just continue in the background. Every so often I'd check and it was at the same place. I still get email notifications with the screen off, so it's strange.

8. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

You can't turn it off and on easily, you'll have to go through Settings->PC and Devices->Mouse and touchpad and at the bottom you can turn it off. But what you can do is change it to long delay. This requires you to hold your finger longer on the touchpad before it registers, so an accidental touch won't move your cursor into the middle of text. There might however be utilities that you can set like a three finger tap to switch it on and off.

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I'm liking this S3 so far. The X7 seems to have incredible power for an atom. The eMMC doesn't seem too slow to me, but I'm comparing it to the M80TA. The 400+ nits display is the best I've seen on an Atom device. I find it difficult to use at anything over 60%. Inking is superb. The device just feels so well built. Backlighting on the keyboard is a great improvement over the Surface 1 that I had and returned. Typing is effortless and I can get up a decent head of steam (still looking for the trackpad delay adjustment) . I can't imagine giving it back. Something really special will have to be released within the next 30 days to tempt me. I do, however, miss the silo pen like the AVN8 had, but they appear to be going the way of the dinosaur. I think this is keeper for me. Hopefully, MS will work out the bugs on the charging issue with a firmware update.

Thanks. That's exactly what I'm looking for. I want to set the delay to a longer setting.

Edit: I don't see the touchpad adjustments in the Mouse and Touchpad section. In fact, there are only three adjustments. You can switch buttons, adjust scrolling, and adjust the # of lines to scroll. I'm obviously in the wrong place.

Edit: Here's the path for others who want to adjust the delay. Charms - change PC Settings - mouse and touchpad - look at the bottom.

Last edited: May 7, 2015
    southdunes, epicfoxes and Mesosphere like this.
  10. chemicalboy

chemicalboy Pen Pal - Newbie

Is S3 also using Marvell Avastar WiFi chips? I had a lot of problems with SP3.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.