Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

This slow emmc is driving me up the walls. Its no longer atom thats the bottle neck, its the drive!

2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm still torturing myself with Windows 10 for now, but there should be an option of that even in Windows 8.1... I just don't remember exactly where it is any more. If you go to the Metro settings app, and then the mouse section (near where it talks about a precision touchpad), there should be something for cursor delay that is defaulted to medium delay.

3. Kendra

Kendra Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the posts guys. Keep 'em coming.

So it also doesn't have a full power USB and quite choppy with sites with ads (like this). Hmm..

I'll try watching Lisa's review.

4. gaidin43

gaidin43 Pen Pal - Newbie

Trying to install a game from blizzard and it is horrifically slow...

soh5 and alaskajoel like this.
  5. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Scribbler - Standard Member

Took me forever to install starcraft 2, but I was able to play a 1v1 on low settings with it only dipping into 25 fps. Definitely not a gaming powerhouse. The real frustrating thing is I had it plugged in, and lost 6% battery during a 30 min game.

I love everything about this thing but the emmc and charging (or lack there of.) I know this x8700 supposedly can't use SATA, but I would have paid an extra 200 bucks for this device if it had core m (even throttled) and a 128gb ssd. It is so much more manageable in one hand vs the SP3 for writing and it could actually be a real ultrabook without this gimped storage.

My battery life has thankfully been pretty good after letting it index and download stuff last night. First day earned me 6 hours in one note with low brightness and I still have 35% battery

....good thing too, because I can't top off the battery during the day.

6. gaidin43

Same game I was trying to install and surprisingly the same issues with battery. Not charging while using it, or not charging a decent amount is surprising.

7. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I had a Dell VP11 in the past the Atom version (Think it was the 5k version)... and at time the dell VP11 seems faster than this... Microsoft can prob do an update to get more performance out of this.

have a 45 day return policy from bestbuy... so keeping this but hope to hear something about SP4 in 45 days so I can fully decide to keep this or move on. there are things I love

love
    the weight
    the screen size (12in on the sp3 seems a little big for a tablet)
    no fan (my sp3 fan was annoying as **** at times)

hate
    CPU speed seems to slow at times
    the HDD is not SDD :(

8. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I get the feeling the power supply isn't supplying nearly 13W. Lisa said in her review that it requires 3-4 hours to go 20-100% while off. I think the battery is 28Whr, so even assuming the best case of 3 hours that implies a charge rate of ~7.5W. I plan on testing this myself later, but I think 7.5W seems consistent with battery drain while plugged. The max brightness screen should draw at least 4W (the SP1 did with a smaller dimmer screen), and the SoC can draw 4W under heavy load (at least Bay Trail could). That is at least 8W of potential draw right there. Add in some heavy WiFi and this thing could discharge noticeably while plugged in if it is only getting 7.5W from the charger.

soh5 likes this.
  9. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Thanks Meso. I think your battery math along with my disdain for how slow the write speeds are with the disk are going to have me send this back. I really wanted to like this, its so light and inking in one note is great. The screen is gorgeous, the camera is really great (I dont have one for my thinkpad, so I cant document scan).

For now I will stick with my Thinkpad. Just really bummed that this machine is crippled by the storage.

10. gaidin43

I honestly don't think I'm far behind you on returning this. I already spoke with online chat to see what my options are.

Again it's coming down to Jack of all trades matter of none debate on two and ones. Other then note taking its speed is killing me. Also the windows metro app system (lack of apps found on android or iOS) is painful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.