Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Lisa's review is up:

2. WuBoy

WuBoy Scribbler - Standard Member

I swear when it comes to getting tablets, I never stick with what I plan.

I had really set on getting the Surface 3 bundle from Costco. As a matter of fact, the only reason I don't have one now is because they didn't have any in the store

So today, I traded in my SP 1 to Best Buy with the intention of getting a gift card and using it towards the bundle when I ordered it from Costco. However, when I traded in the SP1 they gave me my gift card with the $160 loaded on it and a coupon for a promotion where you get $100 dollars towards any SP3 model when you trade in a Surface tablet. Now the person that was doing trade-ins didn't seem to really know what he was doing. To me, it seemed like the promotion was saying that you get at least $100 for any Surface model. So if you brought in a S1 and it was only worth $80, they would give you $100 towards an SP3 instead of the $80. Sort of like how Verizon has a current deal for it's newer phones where if you trade in a phone, you get $200 regardless of how much the phone is worth as long as you use it towards a new phone.

Anyway, he was confused and didn't really know what it meant, but he told me I could ask someone in the computer/tablet section. So I took it over there, and the guy seemed confident that it was a coupon that would knock $100 off the SP3 in addition to the money I got on the gift card. I was still skeptical, but I decided to get the i3 SP3 because the extra $100 discount would bring it down to the price that I was planning to spend on the S3 bundle. The guy took it over to the register and put everything in. Of course, the coupon didn't work because it was exactly what I thought it was, but the guy didn't see that. So I let him fumble around with it until he came to the conclusion that it had simply expired or something despite the fact that I had just gotten it 5 minutes prior. So he manually took the $100 off and I got the SP3.

The S3 looked good, and this move does have some down sides. I lose out on the type cover I would have gotten with the S3 bundle, the SP3 isn't quite as portable, and I only have a 64 GB drive instead of a 128 GB one. All of those are mitigated for me though. I have a bluetooth keyboard that I really like and was planning on using with the S3 before I found out about the Costco bundle. Despite being less portable than the S3, the SP3 is still less unwieldy than the SP1 that I was happy with. And I decided, 64 GB would be good enough for me memorywise. I figure it probably has about 50 GB out of the box. My mandatory programs are Office 2013 and Matlab. Those are probably about 20 GB together, so that still leaves me 30 GB of space which is more than good enough considering I was already planning on getting a 128 GB card for my content. Plus, I've got an SSD which is really important because the SP1 was really fast when it came to booting and opening most applications. I know it would have bothered me to go from that to a slower drive when I'm hearing the S3 noticeably is.

3. Techgeek32

Techgeek32 Scribbler - Standard Member

None of the Surface trackpads have all of the features that the Windows laptops and ultrabooks do. They have much larger trackpads that allows for more features. The ones that are available on the Surface models have been the same from the SP1.

4. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Anyone here with the new S3 that also dual/triple boots and specifically uses Android-x86 builds? I'm currently using a powerhouse pennable Haswell tablet that runs both Windows and stock Android flawlessly.

The S3 interests me for silent use, size, build quality.

There's got to be one of you interested in this stuff too, fingers crossed!

5. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

The SP3 is actually a great all around device. It is quick, it is light, and very portable. Coming from the atom world, however, for me the SSD thing is not an issue because I already play in the emmc world. Good choice and congratulations!

6. freya301

freya301 Pen Pal - Newbie

Can any lucky s3 owners test the USB 3 port's throughput? I'd like to know if it will be worthwhile to get&use a fast usb3 flash drive with the s3 to somewhat get around the slow eMMC speeds.
    Thanks in advance!

7. gaidin43

gaidin43 Pen Pal - Newbie

Id be interested in this too. The emulators I've ran haven't been all that great (little laggy).

Also as a perspective to people. This is a dell xps 13, the surface 3 with Logitech Bluetooth keyboard, and a Samsung pro 8.4. All are at full brightness. The xps is the matte screen, which is noticeable next to the surface. The speed of the i3 xps blows the atom out of the water. I'm trying to install things on both right now, browse while its installing and multi tasking and the surface is bogging down.

I am almost considering returning my 3 to be honest and get a high end xps or see what the surface 4/5 has to offer.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430945334.947643.jpg

Last edited: May 6, 2015
    Kendra likes this.
  8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I'm assuming that there is no built-in software to permit the disabling of the trackpad while typing for a second so that touching the trackpad doesn't interfere with typing, etc.

9. WuBoy

WuBoy Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks, I can't lie. I've been spoiled by SSDs. Originally my laptop didn't have an SSD, but after I got that SP1, I instantly upgraded it to one. On top of that, my work computer was recently replaced with a new laptop with an SSD, So I probably would have gotten annoyed with the S3 drive speed.

10. cliffr39

cliffr39 Pen Pal - Newbie

Just a quick test with CrystalDiskMark 4.0.3
    PNY USB 2.0 16GB
    Seq Q32T1 read 27.87 MB/s write 14.63 MB/s
    4k Q32T1 read 7.055 write 0.033
    Seq read 24.96 write 13.00
    4k read 6.455 write 0.016

Silicon Power USB 3.0 128GB
    Seq Q32T1 read 107.7 write 35.91
    4k Q32T1 read 5.798 write 0.712
    Seq read 132.1 write 54.94