Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I have been very impressed with how cool (and of course quiet) this thing stays =)

If it took an hour to charge 2% you were only ~0.5W of power draw away from discharging =P Luckily though I think this thing will easily last me the day, so mostly charging will only be done at night. For the SP1, you could increase the power draw by 0.5W by increasing the brightness by 25%.

I must say I'm starting to become more of a 3:2 fan ... at least in this particular instance. I always ink in landscape on my AVN8. I need at least that much (~6 inch) of horizontal space to write comfortably. In portrait the S3 is only slightly narrower than the AVN8 in landscape (6" vs 6.8"). Adding in the Wacom EMR edge issues it is about the same horizontal writing space. Also, since I hold the S3 in portrait vs. the AVN8 in landscape that helps offset the in hand strain (holding the device vertically in landscape increases the gravitational lever arm vs. portrait). I have to say the significantly increased vertical viewing area might be enough to offset the reduced holding comfort, given that the holding comfort gap seems smaller than my expectations (because of portrait vs landscape).

I did a little work with side by side windows in "laptop mode", and I think in that case I'd prefer a 11.2" screen at 16:9 (11.2" is the equal area equivalent of the 10.8" at 3:2), but it wasn't a huge problem.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  2. Liberty

Liberty Scribbler - Standard Member

There was alot of inventory at Best Buy. The 4/128 is actually hard to get, but there were many surface 3 still for sale.

Great machine, most customers don't know it even exists.

Which is good for me, I had time to purchase it and pick out a colorful keyboard and pen.

Technology certainly has come a long way.

3. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

noticed a little lag on IE which was weird.... Hulu Plus the app takes 15 sec to open a video... I dont remember it being this slow on my SP3. but other than so far so good...

4. southdunes

southdunes Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm surprised a large marketing push hasn't begun yet for the device.

5. Spartanjet

Spartanjet Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a similar situation with office, have you found any solution to this issue?

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I've been on the phone for awhile with MS support. I'm being handed over to the Office folks. I'm keeping phone numbers. It should save you some time once we figure it out.

Spartanjet likes this.
  7. Spartanjet

Spartanjet Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks I appreciate it!

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Call MS support at 1-800-642-7676. It looks like it might be some glitch. They're working on my issue. The rep said to call.

Mesosphere likes this.
  9. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

This site has had lag problems for me since the switch to XenForo, but, for whatever reason, Metro IE is lagging much more than the Desktop version on my S3. I wouldn't call either smooth though.

10. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

is it only lagging on this site? ok on most others? just curious...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.