SuperNote A6X Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'eReaders' started by dellaster, May 25, 2021.

1. dellaster

dellaster “Content Consuming Child” Senior Member

@Steve B , it’s posted as confirmation in response to @Kumabjorn . Though “common knowledge” among geeks, I have never seen an e-ink device company itself explain why it isn’t happening. I thought it was worth a short posting if only for that.

Kumabjorn and Steve B like this.
  2. dellaster

Battery life is exceptional for me. 85% five days ago as my volunteer work week began, wifi on the entire time, put to sleep by closing the cover, never turned off, used to jot notes & erase stuff various times through the day, plus export & email as attachments twice a day, occasionally thrice. No e-reading this week since my new bed/desk lamp isn’t here yet. 50% left right now as I put it on charge. So… compared to my Nova3 there’s no comparison. I was turning off wifi and the device itself, too, when not needed in order to get the Boox through two days of the same routine, plus sometimes a couple hours e-reading in the evening.

Verdict: both thumbs way up! But YMMV of course. I’m not handwriting the Great American Novel or anything intensive like that.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  3. dellaster

… And a negative to balance that gushy positive: emails arrive at the recipient without word wrap. Embarrassing and unprofessional. I think it makes me look like a semiliterate slob. I have posted about it to the Supernote subReddit where the Supernote folks might see it.

4. dellaster

The 36-LED diffused desk/bedpost lamp is “good enough”, though I can’t recommend that specific brand or model—something’s broken inside and the LEDs shift & rattle; the gooseneck isn’t firm enough to hold a position without lots of twisting and adjusting. Front lights are so much better, though…

I can recommend this hand strap, however:
    8F8B17BB-2BDC-44C7-9C98-A0D82C9766F1.jpeg CA111C96-232B-4F74-ABBA-0E1DC2610CA5.jpeg BC57B634-034F-4BD3-96F8-C9369984940B.jpeg
    https://amazon.com/gp/product/B07L4CNBMV/

It works great! Surprisingly it goes to sleep & wakes when the covers closes & opens despite the attachment.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  5. dellaster

Post Mortem
    In the end I gave it up because of the lack of a frontlight. I thought it would be fine—I enjoyed using a Kindle & other e-ink e-readers sans frontlight for well over a decade, after all—but I’ve been spoiled. A color-adjustable bed/desk lamp is no substitute for modern warm-light adjustable frontlights in e-ink tablets.

The A6X was nigh perfect otherwise, darn it. However, without ebook reader usage it became, for me, too niche a device. After this volunteer gig is over in September I probably wouldn’t even turn it on again until I come back here next May. :(

Kumabjorn likes this.