Superdisplay: a remote display app for Android

Discussion in 'Software' started by Cuberdon75, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

I just discovered Superdisplay in the App store and am playing around with it on my Tab s6 lite, with desktop Clip Studio running on my Windows laptop. It's surprisingly good in terms of latency and pressure sensitivity.

With Krita and CSP for Android, and now this app, the possibilities for art on Android tablets have recently perked up considerably.

I'll consider making a full review once I've tested it more.

In the meantime a couple of kids have already made videos.

abarq, nyb72 and darkmagistric like this.
  2. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kelocube.mirrorclient
    You should mention that this program use USB connection option, so it is not exactly remote display but USB display. The remote display over wifi/ internet with s-pen support had existed for a long time ( official Windows remote app).

This is the first for usb display with S-pen option on Android, should I say finally? And the price is for life, not subscription hell! The reason many people opted for iPad was because of the many app on Apple Store to turn it into Cintiq mode. Now with this apps the play field seem to even out. Let's hope for the app performance being good.

Cuberdon75 and darkmagistric like this.
  3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Its better off for being USB. I've found every Wireless display option lacking in one way or another.

WillAdams likes this.
  4. Cuberdon75

You're right, wifi is just a backup option.

I just emailed the developer who wrote back explaining that the USB version could be as low as 2.0 because the app does a little bit of video compression. Which is good as the Tab s6 Lite only has 2.0 (while the regular s6 has 3.1).

5. starllcraft

starllcraft Pen Pal - Newbie

I need pressure-sensitive display transmission from windows to windows, for example, use galaxybook12 with weak hardware performance as a Cintiq digital display mode

WillAdams likes this.
  6. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

Thank you for posting this! I've been looking for this exact solution for the longest time, and now I feel like I can find different laptop options while retaining an EMR option.

Cuberdon75 likes this.
  7. nyb72

I tried the app out this morning for a few minutes and decided to buy it right then and there. After installing the app on my phone (note 8) and a driver on the PC, you just bring up the app, plug a USB cable, and instantly it became a cintiq without reading any instructions... It just simply worked. Acceptable lag, had decent pressure sensitivity.

I like the way the zooming works, as there is a persistent toggle button to flip between pinch and zoom for your phone or sending that action to the PC.

Basically, it's opened up an option to get a gaming laptop with tons of VRAM and still have my precious EMR. I might decide to upgrade to the extra large Note 10 or 20 now. I'm thinking it would almost be like a companion Vivotab 8, except with full Photoshop and integrated file storage.

WillAdams and Cuberdon75 like this.
  8. Cuberdon75

I heartily recommend the tab s6 lite ($299 on sale) if you want something a bit larger than a phone!

nyb72 and WillAdams like this.
  9. nyb72

I'm curious, what other "remote display over wifi/internet with s-pen support" options have you found? When I was looking into this, I couldn't find anything with pressure sensitivity support along with remote display capabilities.

WillAdams likes this.
  10. nyb72

I'm so tempted. I also wonder how powerful of a processor you need to run this app, it seems to work fine on my Note 8. Could one use an older Samsung tablet with S-pen?

My use case has changed a lot recently, now I've flipped to 90% modeling and 10% drawing, so my need for EMR is drastically reduced. I mostly use the pen now to modify things like texture maps, which requires a lot less screenspace.

So... I'd like to see if I can get away with just using my phone, since I'm always carrying it with me anyway, the pen is stowed, and it's one less piece of tech gear I have to keep charged/keep track of. Trying to stay as portable as possible.

I'm looking forward to your review of the app just to see your workflow with it.